New battery required, any recommendations for MX7-180A

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

Replaced RGX35AXC, Concorde Battery 12V, Aircraft returned to service.
You should have an orange strip that indicates date shipped, I taped that in to log.
Also sign your name and enter your private pilot certificate #
This is spelled out in the FAR/AIM but I don't have the paragraph # but it allows the owner to perform certain maintenence.
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

widgeon13

Post by widgeon13 »

Once again, thanks very much. I was aware it was allowed according to FAR's but was just uncertain if there was any special way to describe the installation.
Regards

TomD
100+ Posts

AGM batteries

Post by TomD »

One thing to remember with AGM batteries like the Concorde RG series.

Unlike traditional lead plate batteries, if an AGM gets totally discharged it will never come all the way back to original condition. I don't know the chemical reasons for this but I have experienced it.

My plane was in a shop for three months and the mechanic did not remove and keep the battery charged. I recharged it but it never had the amps or held a charge as well after that.

This is detailed on a wheel chair care site, they use AGM's on electric wheel chairs are carts.

Tom

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

According to the battery manufactures, the battery if not in use must be fully charged every month to 6 weeks at the most. If not, it is liable to die inside a year.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

widgeon13

Post by widgeon13 »

Can you use a trickle charger to keep it charged or is there some special equipment that you need to keep it charged outside of the plane??

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

widgeon13 wrote:Can you use a trickle charger to keep it charged or is there some special equipment that you need to keep it charged outside of the plane??
There are several automatic trickle chargers like the battery tender that are perfect for this, or boats or motorcycles, RV's etc. Inside the plane is fine. Battery tenders used to come with a neat plug that allowed it to be easily attached and disconnected.

TomD
100+ Posts

Battery charger

Post by TomD »

Have a look here: http://www.battery-chargers.com/chgrpic.htm

I ordered directly from the factory and they set the charge levels to the Concorde requirements.