wingtip replacement, Eaglet has crashed

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

210TC wrote:DUH...is ..right ...LOL
Yeah I can't believe I actually said that. I should edit it out. Oh well stupid is as stupid does!!!! :wink:
Iceman

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

When aligning the gear axles, plumb bob a centreline from crankshaft and tail centre, then check both gear against the line. Place tail in the air so the bottom of the wing is parralel to ground, crosstie so it won't move sdeways. Have mains on two plates with grease between.
You may find that one gear is true and one toed in/out.
With tail up, minimum toe in is best, as tail goes back to the ground you will have toe in. This way tyres will last the longest and aircraft be stable.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

kakkenmc
100+ Posts

Post by kakkenmc »

Hey Iceman,

Was your fuselage damage from just some sideways load? I was hoping the fuselage could handle an incident which only damaged your wing that much. I guess it's too much to ask to handle a skid in a plane, but I made my tires chatter one time on asphalt touching down poorly aligned. I'm scared to remove my floor boards and look.

My non-droop tips are easier to repair with better inside access, but I like the droop look better.

Glad you'll be flying soon.

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Iceman,
sometimes we get sooooo serious. It's nice to laugh alittle, not at you, just something you said.
I have a good case of foot in mouth disease. I live in Texas.....

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

kakkenmc wrote:Hey Iceman,

Was your fuselage damage from just some sideways load? I was hoping the fuselage could handle an incident which only damaged your wing that much. I guess it's too much to ask to handle a skid in a plane, but I made my tires chatter one time on asphalt touching down poorly aligned. I'm scared to remove my floor boards and look.

My non-droop tips are easier to repair with better inside access, but I like the droop look better.

Yes there was considerable side load. If you look closely at the pictures of the plane beside the runway. Look at the runway edge closely. The paved runway is about a foot higher than the dirt next to it. TO make that foot transition there is a berm tapered to the ground from the top of the runway to the dirt which consists of 1to 1and a half inch stone. When my left wheel hit that stone it virtually dug into the stones and that's when we spun completely around putting the left main on the dirt and the right one higher up on the pavement and stones. THis is when the most side load damage was done. It also put the left wing closer to the ground and thereby making it easier to sustain damage. We weren't going much over 35 or 40 when this happened, and the prop never touched the ground. If it weren't for the berm I think we would have just slid out into the dirt and stopped with no damage or maybe a lot less. Thanks Jeremy we did the plumb line measure thing and as I said it is about one eighth out from straight. I'll ask them to do it again and correct for the eighth... As for foot in the mouth.... What's new? I'm gettin older so I say dumb stuff more often than I used to. :roll: Oh and as bad and extensive as the damage looks only what you see in the wing is what was damaged. No Main spar damage.
Iceman

kakkenmc
100+ Posts

Post by kakkenmc »

I'm waiting for the last coat of bondo (I used way less than a can) to dry. Then I'm going to sand smooth and settle for what turns out. I'll prime it tonight and hope to paint, install and fly it tomorrow. The job will look good enough to fly at least until my next annual when I may get someone to replace it. It is stronger than the other tip now (I used boat repair technique due to inadequate skills).

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

You'll think you have got it perfect, until that first coat of paint :lol: . It's just a matter of how much time you are willing to put into it.

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

kakkenmc wrote:Hey Iceman,

that M4 apparently didn't have the float mods to the fuselage. they beef that area up considerably.
M5-235

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

I have ski fittings that were on it when I bought it. Well it is stronger now with the doublers at least. I could have bought the skis but San Diego and snow don't go together. Besides the skis he had were ex military skis with the serial numbers removed and I doubt they were approved for the Maule. So are you going to get a new tip next annual? Pictures pictures!!!!
Iceman

kakkenmc
100+ Posts

Post by kakkenmc »

a64pilot,
I'm no perfectionist, I want to fly.

Iceman,
Pictures tomorrow hopefully.

kakkenmc
100+ Posts

Post by kakkenmc »

I would have done more sanding if I'd known the weather was going to be bad. But, I'm back in business, ready to fly.

That's reflected light! Plus, some of the dings are from a prior repaint with minimal surface prep (a cattle company owned the plane).

Notice the missing red lens. I dropped and broke it. In addition, I dropped the bulb today and broke it (-$35/second work)

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

looks real good to me. I don't think the cows will mind...lol
I sure would like a set of blue prints on that hanger. Looks well built.

kakkenmc
100+ Posts

Post by kakkenmc »

Thanks on the hangar comment. There are no blueprints. It is a napkin plan combination of ideas from several barns I have built over the years. The doors work very well. There are two central conventionally hinged doors which open out to fasten against and then move with a bifold door. This allows easy small central door access, and minimizes hardware strain when the full doors are opened (40 ft span).

kakkenmc
100+ Posts

Post by kakkenmc »

The Eaglet is flying again! Easy landing at my Dad's to warmup. Then I made the same type of landing at my place(from the north, turned in ground effect, then dropped on the last 1100ft of my field). I missed the tree easily. I had also used my lawnmower to cut a "centerline" which makes it a little easier to aim. Part of my initial problem was vague visual clues as to which way the runway is heading. Heading for the most open space or guestimating the distance to a power pole vs a tree may not be precise enough. The bondo did not blow off.

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

good job on the bondo..... Ah the old Lawnmower center line!! NOw do one across the strip and practice spot landings as close to the lawnmowed grass as you can... :wink:
Iceman