Curtis Drain Valve Failure

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

210TC
100+ Posts

Curtis Drain Valve Failure

Post by 210TC »

I took a flight down to the coast today. One of the guys said I had smoke coming from the right engine. Looked back and it was fuel spraying out the bottm of the nacelle.
The curtis quick drain valve lost it's guts and we lost about 30 gallons before we could land.
I did not think these things could fail in this way. I have seen them leak, but not loose their guts.
I know this is not a Maule, but this valve is on a Maule and I think I am going to replace mine say every 10 years.
If we had not seen this fuel spraying out, we could have been forced down (dead stick) over the water. I had to shut down the boost pump to slow the hugh leak.
In a Maule you would never see the spray and if you did not have your eye's on the gauge you would face a bad situation.
Last edited by 210TC on Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

Thanks for sharing your close call.

Mike

belandd
100+ Posts

Curtis Valve

Post by belandd »

Where was the valve located? Was it on the pressure side of your electric pump?
Silly Billy Charters and Tours
Valdez, AK.

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Between the electric boost pump and the engine driven pump.

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

We have had one fail as you did but on the Maule and it was during a fuel drain to replace a leaky fuel selector. the guts just fell into the fuel drum... :x that was on a '76 M5 they have all been repalced since.

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Wup
Could you discribe how the valve came apart?? in detail?? All I have is the outside, all the rest is gone.
I wrote to Curtis and they have already gotten back to me. I intend on sending them what I have.
The more I think about this the more I say LUCKY. This valve is in the rear of the nacelle and inches (within a foot) away from the augmenters and this baby has strait exhaust. Dead stick is one thing, but toast I cannot tolerate even the thought.

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

We were draining the fuel and I don't remember if we went to shut it off or it just went but the darn thing shot the guts right into our fuel can there was a spring the nozzle and one other piece if I remember correctly. We removed it from the fitting and put it back together, replaced it with another and went on. There just happend to be another new one in the hanger at the time. seems like there was enuff spring pressure that it blew past the internal catch and that was it. :roll:

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

I just ordered 14 new Curtis Valves. After what happened to me and a long conversation with the owner of the company, I am installing all new.
I thought this valve had a solid shaft and it is in fact a two part shaft. We think the shaft seperated at the head where the seal is at.
I am sending the remains of what I have to the factory for inspection and a report will be prepared and sent in to the FAA.
IF YOUR VALVE IS MORE THAN 10 YEARS OLD REPLACE IT. DO NOT TAKE A CHANCE.
These things are only 10 to 14 bucks and very simple to replace.
You cannot be to careful when it comes to fuel/electrical systems.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

The seal part of the valve is most probably still in whatever it drained. Don't forget to fish for it.
I assume the type of valve you had fail is the type that has the rod that rotates so it can be locked open? I don't think the type that can only be drained by pushing a rod into the drain hole can fail in the same manner.
A lot of assuming on my part.

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

It is the one with the turn to lock open pin. Just like the two on my Maule inside the left gear.
I could not recover any guts from this thing. This is very strange to me, if the head came off why was it not behind the fitting when I removed it??
I think the head wore out and when I hit the boost pump Apx 25psi it blew out.
Without the guts can't be sure.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I think it's unlikely for the boost pump to blow the guts through the little hole in the type that are in the Maule wing. Maybe you should use that type?

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

The valve is from the same manufacture as the one in the Maule, "Curtis".
They are identical.
I would have agreed with you until this happened to me.
I removed it myself and nothing was there. It had to either fold into a mushroom or brake up to be blown out.
Wup had the same problem, but he said the guts fell into the pan.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I've had the kind you can lock open break on me, but it was when it was being opened. I have not had the kind that you push open break. I have had them leak, but not break. I do not think they can break in the same manner.
I am suggesting you may not want to replace the valve that broke with the same kind, but with the flush valve that cannot be locked open because I don't think they are subject to being broken.