M 5-210C Fuel Selector Valve

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

belandd
100+ Posts

M 5-210C Fuel Selector Valve

Post by belandd »

I am annualing my recently purchased M 5 and found the fuel selector valve covered with black goo. It looks like it has been leaking fuel and the leaking fuel has evaporated leaving behind this mess.

same color and goo that you find on you wing tank sump valves when they leak a little.

Has any one had this valve out? are the parts in it unusual or just O rings? does it need ot be lapped together like Piper valves?

It is a bit hard to get to so I want to do it now an not wait for it to get worse.
Silly Billy Charters and Tours
Valdez, AK.

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

i resealed mine 3 or 4 years ago due to staining like yours. i used off the shelf o-rings, and it works fine. one little o-ring around the shaft and one larger one to seal the large nut, if i remember correctly. i also used some fuel lube or EZ turn around where the shaft pivots. you don't want to get that stuff in your fuel system tho.

another option is a new one from the factory. when i priced them out several years ago they were in the $75 range. and bryan can have parts to AK in about 3 days via priority mail :D
M5-235

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

We have spoken about this issue before.
It is advisable to reseal the unit. To remove and reinstall can create a leak in one of the lines. Hopefully you do not have a leaky line.
The outer part of this valve is a no wear item.
From all that I can gather, the oring should be replace EVERY FIVE years at the latest.
If the shaft and all other parts show no wear, repalce the seal. On the other hand if you see something which looks worn or groved replace it.
Make sure the oring you use is approved for FUEL.
This is one of many items we need to put in a proceedure manual for Maules
Update: read "gas smell when changing tanks" use search to find it

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Tell us about Noerh Pole and how it got it's name

belandd
100+ Posts

Fuel valve, North Pole

Post by belandd »

Thanks for the advice on the fuel valve. I will remove it and go from there. New if needed.

sorry about the mis spelling. It is North Pole, Alaska and it is a small communitty between fairbanks and Eielson AFB

got its name when founders wanted something to be different.
Valdez, AK.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

He knew, he was just being, well you know. The new Maule fuel selector valve looks cool, and is priced that way. I would for sure try O-rings first.

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

No, I truly did not know, that is why I asked.
I have seen the name North Pole many times. I thought it was only a place explorers visited. Given this, I thought the name was used to resemble the North Pole.

Now, If I had said "Is it the true noerh pole or the magnetic noerh pole you would have known I was joking.

belandd
100+ Posts

Noerh Pole

Post by belandd »

I would have thought you had a lisp.
Valdez, AK.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

David, I thought you were just being yourself :lol:

belandd
100+ Posts

Fuel Valve

Post by belandd »

Got it done and reinstalled. No leaks.

This valve has a left and right position but no both position. Is there one available that has the both position.

Of course I should call Maule and ask.
Valdez, AK.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Best to replace the valve with Left, Right, Both and Off type, when you are low on fuel at takeoff or landing when dealing with a crosscontrol in a crosswind or other slip occurence, you can unport the fuel lines in one tank but not both. Some have learned this the hard way and that is why it was changed years ago.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide