IO 360 exhaust

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Maulmaniac

IO 360 exhaust

Post by Maulmaniac »

I need a complete dual exhaust sysytem for my M5 210 project that I am finishing. Any used ones arround? Does anyone out there have any ideas?
MaulManiac

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

You'll probably have to find a used one as new would probably break the bank by the time you bought all of the pieces. Ensure the baffles are in good shape inside the muffler though or you'll spend even more money.

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

Marti--

Are you still going EXP. or is this a Cert 210

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Hottshot wrote:Marti--

Are you still going EXP. or is this a Cert 210
That would change the available options just a little :lol:

MauleMedic

Post by MauleMedic »

Please excuse my ignorance...but how can you go experimental with a Maule? A while back I talked to the feds at the GATO (or was it the FSDO now...can't remember when it changed) about a different airplane.

They had told me that it can't be experimental homebuilt unless you personally have redone 51% of the plane.

In my case I re-assembled an airplane out of other airplane components such as Luscombe wings, J3 fusulage, Cessna 140 landing gear, recover job, Scott tw from? and firewall forward from no one particular airplane. But since each component in and of itself was more or less complete - I couldn't claim the over 51% rule.

So I asked them about other options - not all experimental aircraft are amateur built. They said that the other experimental options (such as exhibition, R&D, crew training, etc) severely limit the aircraft use in that written documentation has to be submitted to them before every flight - and often well ahead - as in a month or more.

Is there a loophole here - or was I misinformed by the GATO - or was that old regs? I'm seriously interested...

In my case I had an A&P apprentice who just needed more "work" time so it was fine and fun to build back an airplane - even if I never was able to fly it...but it certainly would have been nice to!

Thanks

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

It hasn't been GATO for a little while, but no you weren't misinformed. I'm sure it will change from FSDO to FSDO and from one inspector to another, but you have to BUILD 51% of the airplane. EAA has a checklist that if you follow should keep you out of trouble. As I understand it, you'll have trouble certifying an aircraft as a homebuilt if it is a certified design. I don't think you will find that in writing though.
Again the EAA are the experts, join, do what they advise, and I think you will be successful. You might be successful all on your own, but why fight city hall all by yourself?

flyer
100+ Posts

Post by flyer »

I thought that the 51% rule only applied if you wanted to be considered the owner/builder. You can do your own annuals, etc.

I do not think for an aircraft to be experimental that you have to have 51% new parts. If it is less than that, I thought you needed an A&P to do the annual.

Check with EAA.

flyer
Flyer

MauleMedic

Post by MauleMedic »

It is true that if you're not listed as the owner / builder then you have to get an A&P to do the annual. Which is different than an IA to do annuals on cert. aircraft. For me it was an airworthiness certificate issue. They couldn't issue an experimental homebuilt airworthiness certificate unless I built 51%...and the other experimental certificates were too cumbersome to pursue...as far as flying...

OK, I think I sufficiently sidetracked this thread for now :-/ but if there are other thoughts I'd love to hear them...

Maulmaniac

IO 360 exhaust

Post by Maulmaniac »

WUP I would like a certified exhaust.

Marty

belandd
100+ Posts

Maule Exhaust

Post by belandd »

You can take a previously certified into the exp cat for only a limited period for engineering purposes. Such as testing out a new engine installation.

I did this when I installed a O-435 engine on my Stinson.

You can not take a previously certified aircraft into exp status permently.
Once the acft is certified, it stay certified.

You can, of course, use parts off a certified acft on an exp acft.
Silly Billy Charters and Tours
Valdez, AK.

MauleMedic

Post by MauleMedic »

That's pretty much what I've been told...but then again, I might have been mis-informed.

I know that we did do just that - take a certified T-Craft and mark "experimental" on it for a morning with the GATO people while flying patches with differing air pressures in new tires that we wanted to use...but at the end of the day it was back as "certified"

Maulmaniac

IO 360 exhaust

Post by Maulmaniac »

I guess you could consider my topic hijacked!

donknee
100+ Posts

Post by donknee »

Well I don't know if this will get it back "on track", but I googled maule exhaust and got this :
http://www.wemakeyoufly.com/main_whats_news.htm

I don't know anything about them...but they are in Anchorage and I'm sure some of the AK folks do. They might have a line on something.
Good luck.
1976 M5-235-C

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Re: IO 360 exhaust

Post by Hottshot »

Maulmaniac wrote:WUP I would like a certified exhaust.

Marty
Thanks Marty, I will keep an eye out and see what comes up the pipe.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

This is like three threads in one isn't it?