O-540 overhaul

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

senoiaslim

O-540 overhaul

Post by senoiaslim »

Well guys, I am overhauling my engine to new limits right now. So many questions and so little time. but a few questions to run by you. 1. is the prop governor. Should one overhaul it or not. I am not having any problems with it but some of the shops that I researched to overhaul the engine said it would be a good idea to do so because it can cause false oil preassure indications after an overhaul. It that possible?
2. cylinders. I have the mid case engine which superior cylinders are not avaiable. So that leaves the lyc. and aci. I heard that the aci have had some problems with their nickle but the warranty is better than lyc. Any advise on which should be used?

thanks
Mark

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Absolutely overhaul the prop governor, and be sure the gasket you use has a screen on it. Some don't, The screen will keep metal out of the engine if the governor goes bad. Lycoming has a list in a SB of things that must be replaced for an overhaul. Why not have your original cyl's overhauled?

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

i just finished up an overhaul on my 540 and here are some things i did...

o/h prop gov
o/h mag
o/h carb
new eci cylinders with the lycon port/polish job
new camshaft with firewall fwd's centri lube stc

it would have saved me a lot of money to have my cylinders ground oversize and overhauled, but i wanted the ported lycon cylinders for more power and a more balanced engine. the cam was also a big add on. it is modified to oil itself with pressure oil instead of splash oil from the crank (try splashing oil at 30 below). and since cams seem to be the lycoming achilles heel, i went with that too.
it cost way more than i was expecting, but i'm a motorhead so i had to. i haven't flown it yet so i cant comment on whether the porting was worth it or not. but i'll let ya know.....
M5-235

donknee
100+ Posts

Post by donknee »

When I bought my M5, I had the prop, governor and mag rebuilt@ 1300hrs. The governor was showing wear and had to have parts replaced. These seem to be 1000hr components. The carb had already been replaced prior to purchase.

One thing I saw on avweb was a graph on the effectiveness of "Camguard", an oil additive. Shows to be effective for about three weeks vs. 1-3 days with regular aviation oil.
1976 M5-235-C

senoiaslim

Post by senoiaslim »

thanks guys for the advice........
Mark

senoiaslim

Post by senoiaslim »

thanks guys for the advice........
Mark