Paint color

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

BudG
100+ Posts

Paint color

Post by BudG »

Anybody know what color orange Maule used in the early 80's. I think it's international orange but my color charts aren't exact due to fade. I've got to make some minor repairs and want to get it as close as original. It's 81' and its mostly original still in good shape. I was reading that since Razorback went out of business repairs are done with buterate dope. Is that the medium to use? Thanks, Bud

N9657

Post by N9657 »

I called Bryan from Maule earlier this year and he told me the paint was discontinued. I got a paint chart from aerothane and ordered the closes match I could get from aircraft spruce. I am not at home but I can get the name of the paint I ordered later. I have a 1980 M5 so the paint might be the same. I don't think a perfect match can be made. An auto shop might be able to custom mix a match if you give them a sample.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

If you can pop off a cover, fairing or something the correct color, a good automotive paint distributor can match it pretty darn close. I'd ask around your area as some of the paint guys are much better then others...
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

BudG
100+ Posts

paint color

Post by BudG »

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll get a chip, starting around the rear windows. I'll let you know what I come up with.
Bud

N9657

Post by N9657 »

Bud: The color I came up with from Aircraft Spruce was "Pumpkin Orange" If an auto shop dosen't work out for you this was the closest match I could come up with.

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Flying pumpkins, whats next?

W.A.T.

Post by W.A.T. »

May be too late... been too busy in the shop installing AK Bushwheels, tailwheels and stuff.

The original color code for Orange is 90T-5140 and if it had frost then the Brown is 90T-5141.

Original paint was from NAPA, Martin Senour-Synthol Enamel. I think Synthol Enamel has been discontinued by I am sure the color code will cross reference with their replacement brand.

Keep'em Flying

David
Wright Aircraft Technology, LLC
151 D W Wright Road
Moultrie, GA 31788

Telephone: (229) 324-3163

BudG
100+ Posts

Flying Pumpkins

Post by BudG »

Thanks All,

Sounds like a plan on the Aircraft Spruce. Pumpkin Orange... You all will have to look for me next Halloween!

Bud

TomD
100+ Posts

Paint color

Post by TomD »

Why not paint that sucker International Orange so you can be seen in the S43 fog and mist? :lol:

BudG
100+ Posts

Pumpkin

Post by BudG »

Yeah, I think I could have used that bright moniker on Monday morning. It took us forever to get out of S43 and fly to Shelton. Haven't seen you around Tom. Hope all is well.
Bud

TomD
100+ Posts

Paint color

Post by TomD »

My bird is in the shop but looking forward to getting back in the air shortly.

You gotta love an airport that can be IFR on one end and severe clear on the other.

We should start a Fog Bank Slalom contest. Harvey pilots, however, would have an unfair advantage due to continuous practice

TD