Digital Tach

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Kirk
100+ Posts

Digital Tach

Post by Kirk »

Anyone have experience with the Horizon P-1000 digital tach?

I'm considering this as a replacement for my original which reads 190 RPM low.

The mag diagnostic features look pretty neat, EI has some similar features but I am not that thrilled about going down to a 2 1/4" display.

Any thoughts? Suggestions on alternatives?

Kirk

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

A friend has one on his 172M. I thought the mag check function was useful. It's also nice to have a unit you know is 100% accurate for setting power during cruise.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Thanks Doc,

Kirk

flyer
100+ Posts

Post by flyer »

Kirk

I have one. I love it. Analog tachs can be very inaccurate. Mine was over 100rpm low. I would not operate without a digital tach. An analog tach is like an airspeed indicator. Accurate RPM is important to stay within engine limits and for fuel useage.

If you have any questions, I am here.

flyer
Flyer

Skystrider
100+ Posts

Post by Skystrider »

I put a P-1000 in my M5 last May. It has worked flawlessly. I have to admit though that it took some time for me to get used to it. I think that it was because the manifold pressure is a round analog and the RPM is in digital format. Since those two gauges are used constantly together I found it a little more hard to digest the information because they work so fundamentaly different. Just a thought.
1980 Maule M5-180C
Rod Hatcher

flyer
100+ Posts

Post by flyer »

What is the normal idle RPM for an 0360 CIF on the ground?
I cannot find that number and I think my idle is a little high.

Thanks

flyer
Flyer

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Thanks for the info guys, I do wish it had an analog display like the EI for that 'at a glance' readability. I've got the O540-J1A5D though and the RPM range is not that much to have to keep digesting data like you would with a fixed pitch.

As I recall, redline is 2375, climb 2300 and cruise 2200 or 2000. So for my use, it looks like the P-1000 will work fine. Looking forward to accurate instrumentation and the mag diagnostics.

Now it's time to run it by a few A&Ps/avionics shop for a reality check. Sometimes these 'great ideas' I have come crashing down when you find the install price. This sounds like an easy one though.

Kirk

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

UMA, has a digital tach, but with the analog display. We are using them on 1340's are they are dead nuts accurate. No cable, a signal generator mounts on the engine where the cable connects and wires run the tach. No diagnostics and I don't like the hour meter, but the price is right.
I'm not a fan of digital displays, they aren't intutitive.

aussieaviator

Post by aussieaviator »

I put a P-1000 in my M5-235 about a year ago. Works great. My old steam gauge had me doing 3000 rpm on downwind one day. OK, it was the cable but I took the opportunity to replace the tach.
One cannot consent to creep when one has the impulse to soar