M4 220C cowl egress modification

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

That's the info I was looking for! Need to pass that along to Bryan in parts. Guess I need to call and get this re quoted. I like the one pice design I showed but I'm not in the mood to try to get it approved.

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

Does anyone have a picture of their lower cowling cooling strip that they added? I'd like to put one on my cowl but need pics to submit with a 337 application since it's not approved for the M5.
Thanks,
RR
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

mauleairinc.com should have a drawing of it
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

chris_01

Post by chris_01 »

Has anyone tried this out and knows the difference in cooling? In my opinion, my CHTs are a bit on the high side and I'd be interested to tweak the situation - probably by such an easy intervention.
D-EMUX
MXT-7-180A

chris_01

Post by chris_01 »

I try it again ;-)
has anybody done any of these extensions and if so, did it have a positive impact on CHT?
I improvised one to try it out first and saw a decrease of all temps by around 5degrees in average. But the metal sheet I had at hand was not wide enough and is maybe 4 inches less than the full width of the cowl opening on the mxt-7-180a and also does not wrap around the corners left/right...
As said, I wanted to try out the principle and would like to do it properly now - any hints/suggestions?
Thanks a lot in advance,
Chris
D-EMUX
MXT-7-180A

onfinal

Post by onfinal »

Hi Chris,
I am at the aerodrome tomorrow and can take some photos of the extension on my M6 if that will help. PM me.

I have always had this extension so cannot provide information on any difference in CHT figures when flying without one.

Ensuring all the baffles are in good shape and deflecting efficiently, especially those in the cowl inlet, is an important item to review. Even a small gap around the cowling deflector plate behind the prop appears to have an effect on CHTs. This high pressure air will escape downwards below the engine rather than pass over the top and through the cylinder cooling fins.

Hope we can all meet up soon in Germany.
M6-235

G-MAWL

Post by G-MAWL »

Hello Chris, okay different engine (Cont.IO360} on an M4.
Like Onfinal I found paying great attention to the baffing above the engine paid way more in reduced temps than the "turbulence creator" on the cowl such that I removed the one on mine.
I modelled it on the C337 which I believe came with the engine from Continental. Maule made their own at that time.
Cracked cylinders drove me to it !

Not normally that cold in Scotland but I had to partially blank off the oil cooler to get any kind of sensible oil temp. I also had to fit a better catch on the oil filler door as it flew open on the first flight after the mods !

Derek