Annual questions

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

RobBurson
100+ Posts

Annual questions

Post by RobBurson »

My 2000 M7 235C B4B5 goes in Monday for the annual. I do remember what David told us at the Maul Home coming.

Any suggestions for stuff I should have checked that is not on the check list? Or stuff that commonly gets over looked?

The trim on my M7 is weird I think. It moves about a half turn before anything happens. Then it climbs or descends at 100-150 fpm. It is so hard to get it at 50 fpm I just give up.

Is this normal on the Maule or do you think the trim rigging is out of adjustment?

I know, check for the loose wing nut behind the yoke. LOL

Regards...Rob

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The lag in your trim cable can come from 3 places.
Cables set up too tight
Cables set too loose
Cables not flowing smoothly through outer sheath. WD40 will cause this as a gummy varnish developes.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

RobBurson
100+ Posts

Post by RobBurson »

Jeremy, thank you. So what do you lube the cable with? Or do you clean and leave dry?

Rob

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Lithium grease, or the LPS 1 2 3 products. Lithium grease is white going on but then colourless.
LPS 1 to flush out the WD40 then 2 to lubricate and 3 to leave a film to hold off salt etc.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

Rob,
It depends on how well the A & P/ IA knows Maules but I asked mine to inspect the wing tip fuel transfer pumps. I don't think it was on the inspection checklist.
Last edited by Green Hornet on Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

It is time to prepare a sound inspection list with notes that anybody whom ownes a Maule can print it out and use it.
We can ALL contribute to this in an effort to make our planes a little safer.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

I agree but 'hunt and peck' will take me hours to write all that I would put in a list.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

MauleMedic

Post by MauleMedic »

I'd like to see a nice checklist get developed so I'll try to start this off...

Well, legally you must use a checklist...so every Maule Service Manual has a list. As the manufacturer, you MUST at least accommodate this list. This list can be found on Maule's website:

http://www.mauleairinc.com/maintenance_manuals.htm

However, this list leaves a little to be lacking in specifics (which don't get me wrong...that's the beauty of the Maule...they allow you to follow AC43.13 for things that you'd have to talk to the engineering dept. for at Cessna).

Another guide that has to also be satisfied comes from 14CFR43 app. D (Appendix D--Scope and Detail of Items (as Applicable to the Particular Aircraft) to be Included in Annual and 100-Hour Inspections)

The official GPO website for this is:

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/te ... 52&idno=14

When I last did a 100 hr / annual work I used the 14cfr43appD and crossed everything with Maule maint. manual to make sure everything was covered. I also referenced a general checklist I used to have for other tube and fabric airplanes.

Perhaps I'll start work on a new one and post it to my website along with the long-promised Franklin engine repair manual.

What format can people read? I'd do a .PDF but then it's hard to update. Would an Excel file be OK? Then people can download the free viewer and when everyone's comments have been incorporated we can make a .PDF for actual distribution?

Free viewer here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=EN

If people mention specific things (like checking the aux. fuel pump screens) I'll add those things to the checklist.

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

This looks good....
Once it is figured out how to funnel info into a document we can get at it.
Lets remember that what we write needs to be edited so that ALL can understand. It seems the more knowledge one has the less others understand. Unless your are a teacher!
Knowledge is Power

RobBurson
100+ Posts

Post by RobBurson »

Thank you all. Rob

MauleMedic

Post by MauleMedic »

I've started comparing all the checklists in the 35 different Maule maint. manuals available...but I'm thinking that I'll leave out the turbo-prop. models. I argue that these are different enough that people will be on their own...

Any thoughts?

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Idea/.0875076092504
What if we put it on Wikipedia? then we can edit and reedit.
If anyone ever googles "Maule anuual" poof.