starters

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Rezrider
100+ Posts

starters

Post by Rezrider »

My starter froze up and I had to hit it with a hammer to get it going again :D . Very cold temps, only done this once before on me in two years.
Looking through the logs I see that starter is 20 years old. It's a skytec lightweight 149-12pm.
I could have it rebuilt for $290 or replace it for $385 but for 100 bucks more I can get the high torque one.
Has anyone used the High Torque one with good results?
Seems like the high compression 540 could benefit from the HT version. I would pay more if there were extra durability possibilities from the HT one.
Thoughts?
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

Theres a whole thread on this on BCP discussed over about 7 pages. Started with starter adapters. Check it out i think your answer is there
Iceman

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

Discussion is in. Engines and propellers. Titled kickback on start
Iceman

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

I'll take a look there, I usually don't browse that section.
I should have added that other makes are on the table too. It doesn't have to be Skytec.
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

BamaMaule

Post by BamaMaule »

I put the high torque Skytec on my O-360 about two years ago and have really liked it.
Greg
Greg
1980 M5-180C

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

iceman wrote:Discussion is in. Engines and propellers. Titled kickback on start
I read through that but it's mostly continental engine related with the ring adapter issues.
It makes the lycoming starters seem so simple.

Does anyone here have any experience with the hartzell starters? They look pretty good according to their site but that's what marketing is all about!

It looks like the high torque starters spin at a lower RPM but have more guts behind them.
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

It is my STRONG opinion that the Hartzell starters are junk. My airplane had one when I bought it. Took it off and threw it away, after tearing it down and repairing it a few times. It lasted several months after each repair. Each time I'd take it apart, I'd find it full of water and the brushes would be mush from soaking in the water for so long. Yes, I fly in the rain; it's Alaska, what're you gonna do? I've flown plenty of airplanes in the rain, with all kinds of starters, and never see a starter that would allow this kind of water ingression, and then hold onto it for so long. At least one of the times I tore it apart, the weather had been dry for weeks, and I still got a cup of black, carbony water out of it.

I replaced it a few years ago with a Sky-Tec NL that has been flawless.

cooker
100+ Posts

Post by cooker »

We have been using the hartzell x-drive with an odyssey battery behind it for the past 3 years on an O-540. This combination seems to work well and we have had no issues, granted it has had an easy life with pre-heat and an engine that starts remarkably well. We don't fly in any real rain so i can't comment on Andy's experience with water. When purchasing i was not worried about cranking RPM because of how well the engine starts, but yes i believe it cranks slower, harder and longer than the old heavyweight and also the skytec.

From what i can tell Skytec and Hartzell are from 2 different points of view:
Skytec - Spin fast, lower torque, high amp draw
Hartzell - Spin slower, higher torque, lower amp draw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_iemwp-sEA

I believe the key to the light weight starters is putting a battery behind them that can deliver enough amps to drive them

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

Someone has recommended a B&C starter, more $$$ but better built than skytec.
Has anyone here used one?
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

TimB
100+ Posts

Post by TimB »

I have a customer in AK that we installed a B&C starter in his bird in 2004 on a O-540 and has never had a problem with it, still working strong.
TimB

Wyflyer
100+ Posts

Post by Wyflyer »

I've got a new Hartzell 149-12LS ready to go on my O-360-C1F, but I can't figure out the STC or application approval for it.
I bought it from Aircraft Spruce, the Skytec website says it fits this engine/aircraft combination but it didn't come with paperwork and I can't find anything on the web.
I'm replacing a Lycoming 31A22104.
Any help?
we allow darwins law to take its course. -chris erasmus

CRAZEDpilot

Post by CRAZEDpilot »

What did you figure out about your legal issues?

CRAZEDpilot

Post by CRAZEDpilot »

What did you figure out about your legal issues?

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I won a new Sky-Tec lightweight starter at the Maule Fly-In raffle last year. I talked to the Sky-Tec/Hartzell guy and gave him my Lycoming O-360-C1F engine model. He assured me that the 122-NL was the correct new Sky-Tec model number. When my A&P tried to install it, it didn't fit. He talked to a different Sky-Tec person and asked them if they'd ever sold one to Maule. My A&P sent the 122-NL back to them for exchange with the right model, but I'm not sure they have one that fits. Does anyone else with an O-360-C1F have a new Sky-Tec starter? What model fits?
Andy
1986 MX7-180

bobguhr
100+ Posts

Post by bobguhr »

Spruce links to Skytecs fitment guide, which calls out a 149-NL for an O-360 C1F. According to the guide Lycoming O540 and O360 use the same starter, I have the O-540 and run a 149-NL.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog ... tguide.pdf