Maule exhaust 0-360 C1F

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

drak130
100+ Posts

Re: Maule exhaust 0-360 C1F

Post by drak130 »

I have an IO-540 and my clamp is a completely defferent design. I had assumed that they would be the same design since the concept/function was the same. Very suprised to see your clamps. Mine are of the U bolt design with two nuts (plus two pal nuts). Not sure if that would have made a difference in your case as it appears the muffler flange failed.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Looks to me like the tailpipe would not be onto the muffler far enough with that clamp system shown.
I would guess it would take many hours (hundreds) to wear an elongation that long if using a correct U clamp. Once the hole is worn so far to the end of the muffler stub pipe as indicated the tailpipe could not be supported enough.
If that was the left muffler the flame/heat shoots directly at hoses and the gascolater. Fire in the sky is no fun !
Has anyone inspected these muffler cans, one cannot inspect the flame traps inside without removing the tailpipes and thus the annual AD could not have been complied with or the locater hole inspected for (out of round).

Merrymunks, please help us all reading here by relating the hours/dates of inspections. You might save a life or two.
And Merrychristmas too.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Ouch! Good thing you caught this before it caused an engine fire. From the pictures it looks like incorrect clamping pressure caused the guide pin in the clamp to wallow out the hole in the pipe until it broke. I can't think of another reason why it would break like that unless the slip joints at the exhaust headers broke and allowed the muffler to move excessively and fatigue the lower joint.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Maule exhaust system options are severely limited for 180 hp Lycoming engines. If you had a 235 hp, Atlee Dodge would be your best bet. I had my entire exhaust system rebuilt by Dawley a few years ago and it's done pretty well since then. This past September's annual found a crack in one of the header-pipe-to-muffler welds but the A&P was able to weld it. Dawley replaced a number of components in my system and installed new flame traps. It cost me $1,100 plus shipping. I had to ship my old exhaust system to them so they could match up the dimensions, angles, etc. Even if you buy a new system from Maule, there's no guarantee that it will fit your airplane properly since each airplane is custom fit. I did that about 15 years ago and found that the pipes didn't fit the headers and had to be honed. The hangar strap weld tab was 4" off due to an incorrect angle from the muffler to the lower pipe.

I'd say use a custom exhaust shop but that might require a field approval, so your best bet might be to send your old exhaust to a FAA-authorized repair facility and have it rebuilt.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

Post by Hale-Yes »

I don't know if this helps you, but Dawson has a set of fairly good looking MXT 180 mufflers. They are listed for $195. ea. They may well be different than the MX, you will have to check part numbers. They also have a lot of other Maule salvage parts. https://aircraftpartsandsalvage.com/pag ... =date-DESC
"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living" Author unknown.

merrymunks

Post by merrymunks »

Hale, thanks for the lead. On some of those exhaust components the manufacturer is noted as "Continental," so I am a bit confused there as they look very similar. From the Maule parts catalog it looks like 5327F & 5326F, right and left muffler weld assemblies (and associated structures) are what's needed. I'll call Dawson tomorrow and see if they have parts that would work; it would be great to have a set of "spares' to use while the originals are being repaired or remade.
M5-180-C

merrymunks

Post by merrymunks »

What is the correct tailpipe clamp P/N? There's 5109A Rev A and also 5179B Rev C in the catalog, both look similar to me. Does anyone know where I could get a set of the correct clamps? Maule parts line is just going to message at the moment.
M5-180-C

drak130
100+ Posts

Post by drak130 »

Per Maule Service bulletin #23 it looks like the part number is 5072B. I believe you have an MX-7 which is covered by the bulletin. Maule parts department has been hit or miss via telephone but if you send them an email, they usually get right back to you. They may be closed til the new year though.

Tim

Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

Post by Hale-Yes »

Marrymunks, As for Continental being shown on Dawson's web site as the muffler manufacture, don't be confused, those are Maule. You can probably assume that the person who inputs the information may not know the difference between a Continental, Lycoming, or a Maule, and at his/her pay grade doesn't really care. Always be careful with salvage yards and be sure to ask what there return policy is if the part doesn't work for you or has hidden damage. That said, I have gotten a few great deals at salvage yards, they some times don't know the value of what they have. :D :D
"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living" Author unknown.