Wing root recover details

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

stick_rudder
100+ Posts

Wing root recover details

Post by stick_rudder »

Looking for some photos showing how people have layed the fabric around the wing root sections when recovering. I have one side piece of fabric on and it goes from bottom longeron to top longeron, tucking behind the wing root aft of the door post. I looked for info on this forum but could not get the photos to load that others have posted. I know YELLOWMAULE is in the same boat as me and we would both benefit from any detailed recover photos you can provide showing the wing root areas. Thank you!

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

I have a few pics on the puter at work. If y'all email me, I can send them to you.

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Yeah, what he said.
Email sent Duane.
Live it like its your last day.

TomD
100+ Posts

wing roots

Post by TomD »

I know there is a wrong way.....the guy who covered mine demonstrated how to do that :twisted:

Gary Raser

Re: Wing root recover details

Post by Gary Raser »

I am in the process of an annual. And wondering if there anything other then duct tape that should be put between the windshield and the wing root. It was just filled in with multiple layers of duct tape under the cover.

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Duct tape and some yellow fiberglass insulation to stop the drafy outside air from getting inside
The best Government, is less Government.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

I use wide masking tape. Works just as well, and not so nasty to remove at the next annual.

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Just finished removing adhesive buildup from years of tape being added and removed. Product I used was called “Liftoff”. Seemed safe for paint, aluminum and steel.

Duct tape seems the worst for leaving gummy stuff. Painters masking tape was better but sometimes breaks down and stays stuck.

I’ve been using foil hvac tape, Shurtape AF-100. It sticks well, seals well against water intrusion and peels off cleanly without pulling the paint off. To keep it from sticking to the fiberglass insulation I lay a strip down in the channel sticky side up, then lay down the top strips. Burnish with a soft cloth.

Anyone else have good tips?

Kirk

drak130
100+ Posts

Post by drak130 »

Greetings,

Getting ready to seal up the wing roots. Questions:

-Do you run the tape on the underside of the wing as well?

-What is the purpose of the worm gear do-hicky at the aft end of the wing flashing

-Any tricks to sealing up the hole where the flap shaft goes into the fuselage with out causing fouling issues

Thanks
Tim

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Mine has no tape on the bottom,but the cavity between the wing and the fuselage is filled rather completely with fiberglass insulation.Since the flap tube only rotates it would be very difficult to restrict it's motion by over packing the fluffy fiberglass. The tape is put on the top I believe is to provide a convenient means of water proofing other wise how could you keep the water out wile flying in the rain or if the plain was tied down on the ramp without a cover, I would recommend using that nasty sticky ducts tape or the aluminum HVAC tape. That worm gear do hickey is a regular worm gear hose clamp cut in half and riveted to the top wing root cover as the rear attacking and tensioning method .
The best Government, is less Government.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Don't use Too sticky of a tape between fuselage and wing root. It has to come off each annual for inspection. Masking tape works. It is covered by the fairing so will last.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

drak130
100+ Posts

Post by drak130 »

Yup, spent 2 hours cleaning off the old duct tape residue. Gonna try the silver metallic hvac tape this go around.