Franklin 220C: Power settings and Manual

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Speedy

Franklin 220C: Power settings and Manual

Post by Speedy »

Hello,

I am flying a Maule M5-220C in Germany. The discussion in this forum made me install a Fuel Flow Instrument EI FP-5 at the annual inspection last month. I have only flown the aircraft locally thereafter and have not calibrated the instrument, but seeing the big difference in fuel burn between different MP and RPM settings is an eye opener. I no longer want to fly above 22/22, where fuel burn is around 10 gal/hr. :wink:
At 25/25 it is almost 15 gal/hr.

What power settings and corresponding fuel burn are others using?

Does someone have the Franlin Engine Manual in a .pdf file or could convert a hardcopy into a pdf and mail it to me? I am missing especially pages 20-26 which should contain cruise power charts.
Greetings,
Martin

xwildcat
100+ Posts

Post by xwildcat »

I've gotten as low as 9 gph with 2500/22 at altitude. The Franklin likes rpms.

MauleMedic

Franklin 220 6 cylinder manual

Post by MauleMedic »

Hello All,
I have the Franklin 6A-350-C1 engine maintenance manual that I have just scanned and converted to a .PDF...this manual does not have a copywrite so I have no problems e-mailing it to folks. If I could attach it here I would.

If I remember right it covers 6A-335, and 6A-350 series and maybe even the 4 series...it does not cover the old Franklins that the Stinsons and SeaBees used though.

Speedy

Re: Franklin 220 6 cylinder manual

Post by Speedy »

MauleMedic wrote:Hello All,
I have the Franklin 6A-350-C1 engine maintenance manual that I have just scanned and converted to a .PDF...this manual does not have a copywrite so I have no problems e-mailing it to folks. If I could attach it here I would.

If I remember right it covers 6A-335, and 6A-350 series and maybe even the 4 series...it does not cover the old Franklins that the Stinsons and SeaBees used though.
Hi MauleMedic,

thank you. Do you fly a plane with a Franklin engine?

MauleMedic

Re: Franklin 220 6 cylinder manual

Post by MauleMedic »

Speedy wrote:thank you. Do you fly a plane with a Franklin engine?
Not yet...I'm rebuilding an M5-220C but have never flown in it...acquired it after its fourth wreck and am just working on the engine overhaul now.

Recovered it after rebuilding one of the wings and replacing numerous tubes in the fuselage, landing gear legs, etc. I can't speak much for the flight aspect...but maintenance on these platforms is just excellent.