Air Hawk vs. Super Hawk

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

andy
Site Admin

Air Hawk vs. Super Hawk

Post by andy »

I need to replace my 8.00-6 Air Hawk tires and I'm considering the Super Hawk 8.00-6. It has a stiffer side wall and longer life tread. Most of my landings are on grass fields - sometimes soft or wet ones - but I also land on pavement less often. Most of the time I fly my 1986 MX-7-180 at about 2100 lbs. but sometimes I load it up near 2500. Does anyone have experience with the Super Hawk 8.00-6 tires?

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Though more expensive, I have found Goodyears to wear best.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

andy
Site Admin

MX-7-180 tires

Post by andy »

Thanks, Jeremy. I'll look at the Goodyears. I've been reading a lot about tires in the forum and I'm considering putting 8.50-10 tires on my MX-7-180 with shims that prevent rubbing on the calipers. I understand that braking action will probably be less since I have single puck brakes but I don't need heavy braking for most of the places I land. I'm more concerned about the possibility of shearing off the tube valve stem if the tire and tube move on the wheel while braking. I seldom apply more than moderate braking since my approaches are at slower airspeeds and gross weight is usually between 2100 and 2300 lbs. Do you really have to tromp hard on the brakes to experience tire rotation on the wheel?

Andy

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The 8.50x6 won't slip on the rim if the pressures are correct. Blow them up tight to seat the bead and then reduce to correct pressure, discussed elsewhere. The single pucks will work fine for normal usage.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide