AUXILIRY PUMPS M5

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

That is hint # 2 and yes sort of.
Hint #3, it doesn't happen on a twin with counterrotating engines.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

g5280

Post by g5280 »

Jeremy
It seams to me that some times my main tanks use fuel equally however not always. The left main will be the one to uses fuel faster in this case always the left. Is this related?
Gary, Maule 9159E
1977 M5 235 IO 540J
Tundra Tires

Tracey

Post by Tracey »

Jeremy does p factor (torque) have something to do with one tank emptying faster than the other tank?
72' M-4 220

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Tracey, yes but that is a minor part of it. On some high performance planes the manufacturer will build slightly more angle of attack into one wing to oppose torque though in a normal light aircraft, there is not enough reaction to the few hp available with it's little prop to rotate the fuselage longtitudonally into a turn when in cruise.

However, think of the other result of a turning prop....??
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Tracey

Post by Tracey »

I was thinking more in terms of yaw and if the tendency to rotate towards the left would put more gravitational force to the inside of the left tank and toward the outside of the right tank thus more gravitational force at the pickup tube on the left tank and less force at the right tank???
72' M-4 220

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Correct, you win the prize, now can you explain why there is that yaw and what is done about it?
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Tracey

Post by Tracey »

The prop blade is traveling up on the left and down on the right. You get more thrust when the blade is traveling down than when it is traveling up. therefore pushing the nose to the left. I think right rudder is the correction.
72' M-4 220

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Actually the resultant airstream from the prop is spiralling from the downward blade, under the belly, up the left side and contacts the vertical stabilizer, pushing it right and thus the nose left.
The airstream from the upward left blade goes over the top, down the right side and has no (underbelly vertical stab) to blow against, to combat the topside force.
So, the manufacturer sets the vertical stab. angled to the left and has to estimate how much angle to build in for median flight speeds. the right rudder and rudder trim are used for fine tuning at the different flight configurations.
Some float planes have an underbelly ventral fin which helps a little.
If you extend the alignment of the vertical stab. forward to the line between the main wingspars it should cross about 1.75" to the left of centre.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

g5280

Post by g5280 »

Jeremy
When I pump fuel from my auxiliary tanks to the mains I pump for 33 minutes. Question is this to long or pretty close? 1977 M5 IO540J
Gary, Maule 9159E
1977 M5 235 IO 540J
Tundra Tires

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

In the operaters manual it is indicated that the transfer pump moves approx .4 gals/min, ie 1 gal in 2.5mins and M5 has 11 aux gals.
Some pumps are more worn, and then there's the left and right forces.
Your engine is either O540 J1A5D or IO540 W1A5D and does not consume fuel faster than the Facet pumps move it.
The IO360 Cont. is a diferent fuel system and has a small header tank, see parts manual.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Chopper206

Wing angle of incidence

Post by Chopper206 »

My engineer was startled when he was first working on my M5. He called me over with the worrying observation, "We have a problem." He had the tail up in a level flying attitude and we climbed up on a tractor so we could eyeball the angle of incidence on the two wings from a distance. There's a **noticeable** difference in the two wings. Maybe a couple degrees. Thankfully there were a couple other Maules on the field and we scurried around to look at them to confirm they all had the same difference and we did not have a bent fuselage.
maules.com wrote:Tracey, yes but that is a minor part of it. On some high performance planes the manufacturer will build slightly more angle of attack into one wing to oppose torque though in a normal light aircraft, there is not enough reaction to the few hp available with it's little prop to rotate the fuselage longtitudonally into a turn when in cruise.
Keeping the crud cleaned out of the auxilary tank pump filters makes a big difference in how fast they empty the tanks. One side is about :20 minutes and the other about :30.
M5-235C in the Canadian Arctic
26" Alaska Bushwheel tundra tires
Alaska Bushwheel Scott Tailwheel
HF Radio--talk to the world! VYØDU

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Removed by author

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Another caution I would make on the aux transfer pumps after learning the hard way. Those little vibratory pumps can be blocked or seized with a very small amount of ice from water in the fuel.

When I bought my M5 it had been sitting outside for about 8 months. The right aux had water in the fuel. We sumped the heck out of it until it seemed fine but the next few flights I still got a small amount of water despite making huge donations of fuel to the airport tug 4 ounces at a time.

Well, came the night I took off when it was about 15 F outside and 0 F at 8000' and the right aux wouldn't transfer. Next day was warmer and all worked fine. We finally got it all out of there after sumping, jacking the tail level and sumping again

g5280

Post by g5280 »

Ok as Jeremy is correct Radio Shack USA also on line has green replacement lights that snap rite in. I almost fell over part #272-337A green snap-in 12VDC Lamp assembly Fits 1/2 or 12mm hole 10,000.00 hour lamp life ($2.66)!! US.If this works out i am uploading 2 picture of a tool i made to remove the old lights.This is ballpoint pen body cut down and a long wire Tye. The old lights didn't want to come out vary easy. The first one took about 1 hour and the 2nd one took about 5 minutes. I wanted to keep the old lights in tact encase i could replace the bulb or use the parts.
Keep Smiling
Gary
Ps the upload picks ant working may by a norther time
Gary, Maule 9159E
1977 M5 235 IO 540J
Tundra Tires

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

OK Jeremy this sounds like a wonderful theory, but are you saying that in flight one wing is lower than the other?