AUXILIRY PUMPS M5

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

g5280

Post by g5280 »

g5280 wrote:Ok Jeremy is correct Radio Shack USA also on line has green replacement lights that snap rite in. I almost fell over part #272-337A green snap-in 12VDC Lamp assembly Fits 1/2 or 12mm hole 10,000.00 hour lamp life ($2.66)!! US.If this works out i am uploading 2 picture of a tool i made to remove the old lights.This is ballpoint pen body cut down and a long wire Tye. The old lights didn't want to come out vary easy. The first one took about 1 hour and the 2nd one took about 5 minutes. I wanted to keep the old lights in tact encase i could replace the bulb or use the parts.
Keep Smiling
Gary
Ps the upload picks ant working may a norther time
Gary, Maule 9159E
1977 M5 235 IO 540J
Tundra Tires

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

A64, no, the wings can be perfectly level, but the airplane spends more time in climb cofigueration holding altitude through downward waves of air, than decending through up lift waves of air. Assuming most air is not absolutely stratified level, but is tending to follow the undulations of the terrain below.
So the airplane spends more time fighting yaw forces to the left than to the right in an american turning engine and visa-versa in an opposite turning engine.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

ChuckAldrian

Post by ChuckAldrian »

If I remember right, Ray Maule told me that the left tank empties faster because both Fuel lines from left and right tanks go down the left side of the windshield support member, and as the right tank fuel lines are longer there is more friction and therefore the left tank will empty faster.

Is this correct or am I just dreaming this stuff up?

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Partly dreaming. Check the drawings in the parts manual. I maintain that to operate the plane, all systems should be fully understood. A good knowledge of where the fuel lines, control cables, bellcranks, pushrods, springs, engine controls, door knobs etc. are positioned will save your life if something jams one day.
The right tank fuel line does run 30" further than the left, across under the seats and this will add a tiny bit more drag to the fuel.
Many owners have only glanced at the engine manual too, and there is so much good info. in it.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Jeremy,
That went over my head, sorry. My point is that the trim ball is not a trim measuring device, it is only a level. Nothing more. It does not indicate aerodynamic trim. So if you are in unaccelerated flight, with the trim ball centered, then your wings are level. If everything else were equal then both wings would drain fuel at the same rate. My contention is that everything else is not equal. One line for some reason or other offers more resistance to flow, either it's longer, goes through a sharper bend or a smaller fitting or something. I'd bet lunch that if you disconnected both fuel tank lines from the selector valve that the tanks would drain at a different rate, while sitting on the ground.
On edit: This sounds like an excellent conversation to have around a campfire after a couple of beers at the fly-in. :o

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

the campfire it is.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide