Oleo position on gear leg? Toe in out?

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

M4Mauleman

Oleo position on gear leg? Toe in out?

Post by M4Mauleman »

Question, which way is the correct mounting of the oleo onto the gear leg? I purchased my Maule on floats and got all of the gear in pieces. Is the oleo swapable from side to side? Any pointers? How about the toe out measurement with 8.50's? What are the out of spec problems and how far out of spec is tolerable. Meaning is say 1/2" out of spec not landable? Just curious....
Thanks Tim

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Oleos are not swappable. There is Left and Right.
The oil filler hole needs to be up so you can topup.
There are two spacers per oleo at the top attach and you should use NAS 160,000psi bolts to attach the upper end and use a torque of 225in/lbs. not the original AN bolts of 120,000psi

Toe out is not usually the situation, and you don't want any.
Toe in with tailwheel up so wings are level longtitudonally should be Zero.
With tailwheel on ground and measuring with 8.50 tyres at 9" axle height fore versus aft, from tyre to tyre, 5/8" toein would be nice. Most will exceed that to over an inch but I do not like more than 3/4. At 7/8" you will start scrubbing tyres.
If on expensive tyres, if usually three point landing, then keep the toein minimal.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

vern

oleo fill tube orientation

Post by vern »

Does anyone have an oleo strut with the fill tube facing down instead of up? This would require a left or right strut being using on the opposite side from it's intended location. This is apparently possible by rotating the spring assembly 180 degrees and re-fastening in the strut tube.

I can see how this could be helpful as a temporary fix in situations where are parts are far away, and time is pressing, but I was told that this is not an uncommon occurance on the oleo landing gear, at least on older models?

I am in the process of re-assembling an M4 that has this configuration. Is this considered an acceptable arrangement?

Any information would be helpful. I am new to Maules, but have been trying to read all the posts on this website and elsewhere. Thanks, Vern

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

If you want to put oil in or check it at the annuual, the plug must be upwards, thus there is an oleo for left and a different one for right.
It does not matter which way the cartridge goes in.
The lower end of the strut is cut in such a manner that also depicts which is left and which is right.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

vern

right hand oleo strut

Post by vern »

Well,,,,,,, it looks like I need a right hand strut. I could get by with a replacement tube (right hand of course) and reuse the spring assembly I have.

Does anyone have an airworthy right hand tube for sale? Or do I just go to the factory? Thanks, Vern

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

While in the oleos, you might check to see if you have the old style square section springs. The later round section springs have a better collapse rate which does not put such a shock load on the end bolts.
The upper end bolts should be NAS type and not AN as these can bend and the snap at the most inoportune time.
I may have a right strut, I'll have to look. Call me about it.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide