Cockpit Headliner:fix or replace

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Bob Leve

Cockpit Headliner:fix or replace

Post by Bob Leve »

In the process of improving flap performance I have to tighten the control cables and all the zippers in my liner are stuck. I will likely have to take them out to get at the cables. I could get a new liner from Maule, but I don't know how much it will cost to install it. Does anyone know approx. cost of installing a new headliner. Are there any other solutions from people who have had that problem. I assume that installing new zippers in the existing liner would be very difficult. Any advice???> :(
Bob Leve

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

If you don't want the time consuming job of headliner replacement, if you can get the zippers open by using LPS1 or such, but not re-closed, you can do a pretty tidy job of laceing them together. Fairly airtight is what you're aiming for. The zippers should be kept lubed at the last annuals so they do'nt seize up. Gently wiggling the zipper as you try to move it sometimes works.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

mine stuck. Don't use your fingers to try and unstick them, if the little tab is attached use pliars and wiggle and twist with lubricant. You will see the reason when you use the pliars.

donknee
100+ Posts

Post by donknee »

I plan to cut my zippers out with scissors leaving the sewn margins intact. Then with contact cement, glue a new zipper in. Then hand sew the new zipper to the headliner and reinforcement from the old zipper. The glue allows you to neatly hold the new zipper in place for stitching. I have not yet done this...but it "seams" doable. :roll:
1976 M5-235-C

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

donknee wrote:I plan to cut my zippers out with scissors leaving the sewn margins intact. Then with contact cement, glue a new zipper in. Then hand sew the new zipper to the headliner and reinforcement from the old zipper. The glue allows you to neatly hold the new zipper in place for stitching. I have not yet done this...but it "seams" doable. :roll:

I think that would be very doable with a "Handy stitcher"

donknee
100+ Posts

Post by donknee »

Very cool Wup! That looks like it would make some fine stitchery. I'm just wondering if this is a service of ABW, a new product you are offerring, a marketplace item, or....? I'm hooked, now tell me more. If I fly in can we just stitch er up?
1976 M5-235-C

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Back in my past we used wax to lubricate zippers, or soap seems to work well also.

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

a64pilot wrote:Back in my past we used wax to lubricate zippers, or soap seems to work well also.

Use a Pencil.. quick and no mess.

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

donknee wrote:Very cool Wup! That looks like it would make some fine stitchery. I'm just wondering if this is a service of ABW, a new product you are offerring, a marketplace item, or....? I'm hooked, now tell me more. If I fly in can we just stitch er up?
They work pretty well, I don't have one but I have used them in the past (Mom's) and you can find them on Ebay or other websites pretty reasonable. The nice thing is I don't think you will need to remove the liner to get the job done. 8)

http://www.handystitchtv.com/?OVRAW=Han ... 4013023021

Ian

New Headliner from Aircraft Spruce

Post by Ian »

Aircraft Spruce offers a new wool liner in grey or beige for 275.00 as opposed to the 600.00 + Maule wants. I installed mine last March and aside from some minor mod for skylight it is great.
Best Regards

Ian