Maule -vs- UPS

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Maule -vs- UPS

Post by Lowflybye »

The prop strike saga on our aircraft continues. To make a long story as short as possible, let me sum it up by saying we purchased a new prop from Maule and UPS dropped it on it's end resulting in a bent tip on the brand new blade. A company named Crawford apparently underwrites the shipping insurance for UPS and they originally denied the claim based on improper packing. Maule disputed this denial due to the fact that the prop was extremely well packed...to the point that the prop went through about 3 inches of cardboard and an equal amount of bubble wrap before piercing through the end of the box. UPS / Crawford has now come back and said that they can drop any package from 3 feet or less up to 10 times before a claim must be paid, regardless of the damage. Are you kidding me? :? This statement is in writing. Oh and they also state in writing that labels (fragile, this end up, etc.) are not regarded or given any extra or special handling.

So...What can Brown do for you?

I have to commend Robbie at Maule for handling this very professionally and in a timely manner. He has been very helpful from day 1 and Maule is making it right by us. Since the shipping contract is between Maule and UPS is it their problem to deal with, but we could have easily suffered through this one if Maule had not stepped up to the plate.

The following is the dialog from the emails between myself, Robbie @ Maule, and UPS. Some names and numbers have been changed to protect the innocent. :wink:
lowflybye wrote: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 9:19 AM
To: Scott@ups
Cc: Chris Davis
Subject: RE: 1Z3226580342266273

Scott,
They did not re-inspect the package. A message was left on our answering service from Crawford. They have denied the claim again on the basis that UPS is allowed to drop any package from a height of 3 feet up to 10 times, and she is basically inferring that UPS can destroy anything they want and then deny the claim. In writing they claim that labels (fragile, this end up, etc.) are not regarded or given any extra or special handling.

It is on record, and I am currently researching alternative shipping methods. I am angered by the message left by Crawford, and I believe that UPS no longer has the customer in their best interests. I have carbon copied our customer to inform him that we will still honor his request to pay for his repair at OUR expense because we do care about our customers even if it WASN'T our fault. I am disappointed, and I know that UPS needs to be more specific when they ask, "What Brown can do for us?"

Just today another package has been lost. 1Z 322 658 03 4299 878 7 This is too much in too short of a time frame. Losing a package is completely uncalled for, and this hurts us because we shipped rare and limited parts to which we have no replacements.

You have been given a tough assignment, and I understand that you are just our rep. Therefore, I am not angry with you, but with UPS and Crawford. Thank you for your continued help in resolving these issues. Unfortunately, your leaders have failed you.

Robbie
Maule Air Shipping Department

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 15:00:29 -0400
To: Robbie

Robbie,
Will you please ask your customer if Crawford Claims came back out to his location. I am showing that they denied the claim again. I would like to know if they even came back out there.

Thanks,
Scott

Scott
UPS Account Manager

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2007 10:05 AM
To: Scott@ups
Cc: Robbie

Good morning,
Our customer has forwarded photos of the package and the damage. I am not sure if the claims department has done anything proactive since I appealed last Monday. They did not call for a follow up before Tuesday afternoon. I have reviewed these photos and they are almost an representation of the package as it was shipped. The customer stated that he could not close the box for the amount of padding and material inside the box. Please review these photos and take the needed course of action to remedy this. The receiver, our customer, should know the cost of repair and/or replacement sometime this week.

Thank you for your continued support,
Robbie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 12:34:03 -0400
To: Robbie

Robbie,

I understand completely. Do you have the box and the prop at your location? I would like to come by and inspect and see why Crawford Claims denied this. Or maybe we can simulate this with another box while I am there. I am planning on being in Moultrie on after 12:00 PM. Let me know if you can meet then and we can take a look at this.

Thanks,
Scott

Scott
UPS Account Manager

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2007 3:11 PM
To: Scott
Cc: Robbie
Subject: 1Z3226580342266273

Good Afternoon, Scott,

I am emailing a concern with a Crawford Insurance claim being denied. Crawford denied the claim on the basis of insufficient packaging, but I called today to dispute that. They claim that all packages are not packed sufficiently, even when they were packed with sufficient cushion.

The item that was damaged was a prop valued somewhere at $$$$$. The packaging was so sufficiently packed that it took several employees to hold the box closed while it was stapled shut. Despite the fact that the prop was packaged well, UPS managed to cause damage to the prop. The blade of the prop supposedly punctured through five layers of cardboard before being struck against a solid object outside of the box.

The box was labeled "do not stand on end", and was peppered with "fragile" and "this side up" labels. The claim should not have been denied on the basis of insufficient packaging. The packaging was sufficient for normal handling without a doubt. The damage that was incurred during transportation was obviously due to unacceptable handling by UPS employees and machinery.

On a separate, but related issue, these claims being denied are becoming somewhat common lately with our high-dollar shipments that are being damaged, and I am concerned with how UPS is not taking responsibility for these damages. We have had a great relationship until now, but this is a big deal and we may have to consider other shipping alternatives if this situation does not improve.

Thank you for your prompt attention and reply to this issue,

Robbie
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To a pilot, the sky is home."

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

That is why ALASKAN BUSHWHEEL will not ship UPS unless requested and on your account!! as we have had the same issue with their shipping care and lack of insurance. :evil: :evil:

RobBurson
100+ Posts

Theres got to be a better way

Post by RobBurson »

Reinforced wooden crate. $100.00-$200.00. Prop, what 8K ?

RB

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

UPS S--ks. I don't use them anymore.
The ups guy dropped off a package at my front door (aircraft radio). I opened the door as he was walking away (they don't knock at the door anymore) the package was damaged, so I said "hay this package is damaged" the guy did not even turn around he said as he walked away "call ups".

ve6inm

Post by ve6inm »

Boy what a run- around!!

I also refuse to use UPS for shipping anymore. I sent one of my radios in to the King factory depot in the US for repairs. I live in Canada. When King packed the radio, they used the "expanding foam" packing that conforms to the shape of the radio with about 3" all the way around the unit. It was well packed in a cardboard box and labelled FRAGILE when they return shipped it to me. In order for me to get the radio from UPS, I had to pay them as the "customs broker". That is based on the value of the item - $1500.00 not the repair $200.00. Before I could even look at my radio I had to pay up front - $342.00. When they did hand me the package, it had been chewed up by something to the extent that the front knobs were missing and the display broken out. My immediate complaint, right at there front desk, right then and there, was met with the statement - "The claim forms are over there, take one home and fill it out."

That was 11 months ago, and I still have not been reimbursed. Not only are they a rip off with their "brokerage charges", they don't seem to care about how they handle the packages. And their customer service - well, there isn't any.

Just my 2 cents worth, but they will never get a dime of my business.
Glenn

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

UPS

Post by MauleWacko »

:o