Painting wing section

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Bob Leve

Painting wing section

Post by Bob Leve »

I have had some paint failure on the wing panel over the inner fuel tank on one wing (looks like it is from fuel spills over the years). I don't want to repaint the entire wing but just the panel itself. I assume I will need to do both panels so it looks OK. Any advice on how to do this. Can I use paint remover? Should I just give it a good sanding and paint over the old paint where it is still good. I assume I should buy the paint from Maule? Should it be sprayed or can a brush do a good job. Any advice is appreciated.

Also, what brand wax do people use to protect the fabric portion of the the ship?

Thanks

Bob
Bob Leve

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

take it to your mechanic. and please do not brush paint on your bird.

an area that small could be DA'd and hand sanded to get all the imperfections out. and then masked and re-sprayed. probably too small and confined to use stripper.

the paint can be sourced locally, you will just need a paint code, or you can have it matched. not sure what year your plane is, but maule is currently using an automotive urethane (dont know the exact brand).
M5-235

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

If the rest of the paint is adhering well, don't strip. Stripper is corrosive stuff and in my opinion should be avoided if possible. Feather the paint edges, prime and repaint. I did this to my leading edges and it turned out good.
Stripper may get down into places in the wing that you don't want and cause corrosion.

MauleMedic

Maule Paint - Panel Repair

Post by MauleMedic »

UP-M5 wrote:...maule is currently using an automotive urethane (dont know the exact brand).
If my memory serves me correctly the factory currently uses the Martin Senour brand of urethane - commonly carried in NAPA auto parts stores.

http://www.martinsenour-autopaint.com/

Although it's also common for the paint to change over the years when other folks recover / paint. For my M5 project I recently sprayed Aerothane on over epoxy primer (same Aerothane over new PolyFiber fabric job...but I've seen things from lacquer to enamel, to AlumaGrip - your logbooks should help...

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

For some years now, Maule has been using U-TECH specialty coatings of Florida.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Ian

Paint

Post by Ian »

Hi

The paint is UTech 3.5 it is an Akzo Nobel product. I have been buying mine at a specialty automotive shop. The code can be had from Maule. It is a two part product and is flexible when dry. I have redone my cowl, landing gear, boot cowl doors all fairings, struts and wing tips . Works great. If you are going to strip use the aluminum tape aroud area. Could you remove or partially separat cover?

Ian
Best Regards

Ian