STUPID PILOT TRICKS- Bent Aileron

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

ddepew

STUPID PILOT TRICKS- Bent Aileron

Post by ddepew »

I was moving my m7 into the hangar yesterday and caught the right aileron in the power cord of my bi-fold door :x The cord bent the right tip up about 1/4 to 1/2 inch and put a small tear 1/16" in fold. I was able to straighten it out with a screw driver but still have a small crease and of course the tear is there. Any suggestions or am I destined to replace the aileron? If so any idea of costs and I ASSume I have to get from factory? Also would this constitute damage history? Appreciate your thoughts.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I had to replace my aileron and it wasn't but about $600, unpainted of course. Damage history?, I would say no. I would make sure the removal entry stated the cause of the removal, that way there would be no question that the airplane had been involved in an accident. Replacing an aileron because of hanger rash is about as much damage history as as stain on the upholstery, but that's my opinion. If I were looking to buy, I would rather see it replaced than an ugly scab patch or similar repair. You can always take photo's, I would.

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

your A&P should be able to reskin it for less than the cost of new. as long as he has a brake long enough.
but a brand new one is very cheap also.
M5-235

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

I agree with A64 regards damage history. This is a very minor incident, even though the aileron definitely needs to be repaired or replaced.

I would be sure that the logbook entry is very specific about the dimension and extent of the damage and how it was resolved. Any prospective buyer would feel better knowing it was a gentle hit.

Kirk

ddepew

Post by ddepew »

Contacted Maule today and ordered a new aileron. Price painted was @ 750.00 Why do leasons learned always have to be painful and expensive? Thanks for your input.