WING RIGGING

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

just a note
attach the longest strut first so you have to pull the wing DOWN to attach the second strut. This takes much less effort than pushing the wing up to get the bolt in.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Hottshot wrote:
flyer wrote:Mike, Jeremy, a64

The problem is to measure the 1/2 degree washout. That is a very small measurement to measure accurately.

flyer
Go get a digital Level and you will solve the problem in seconds rather than chase your tail with out it. It may be a little bit of $ but the time you waste "trying" to get it right with out one will cost you more.....

If you have a prop protractor and know how to read it it is just as accurate as a digital level, maybe even more so. Kinda like a digital mike. If you know how to read the vernier scale on the old mike then it's just as accurate.

mike davis

Post by mike davis »

The wash out is set into wing when built in jig on universal wing older wings I don't know this is why rear bolts go in free.The method I described is how the factory do it accept they test fly, and if wing heavy they adjust flap to compensate . You it this way but if you need a lot of adjustment controls won't be true.In my mind if you are flying and ailerons and flap trailing edges aren't true you have induced drag.To do the other way sound like a lot but isn't that bad maules have more complex control system with aileron interconnect and all that is why I would start at the beginning and work to the end.If done the other way don't pull or push one wing balance it out or top wing skin will show rippling.GOOD LUCK

mike davis

Post by mike davis »

I missed a CAN DO in there so where but you will figure it out.

flyer
100+ Posts

Post by flyer »

I am trying to adjust the washout. That means adjusting the rear struts.
How do you physically bend the rear part of the wing, to get the holes lined up. The wing does not bend by simply pushing down or pulling up.
Maybe I am getting weak in my old age.
I do not want to cause any damage to the wing.

Thanks

flyer
Flyer

mike davis

Post by mike davis »

Flyer what model Maule do you have.

flyer
100+ Posts

Post by flyer »

Mike

I have an M-5 180C.

flyer
Flyer

mike davis

Post by mike davis »

Flyer the process I described earlier was for the universal I don,t have the paper work for the m5 or the short wing call Maule ask for Bill Harlow he is the old parts guy very sharp super nice guy he will be able to give you specs/ process . Call early in the week because he was working, mon. to wed. he will able to get you on track. If you need info. I have found the people at maule to be excellent to deal with.Sorry for any mix up I thought you working on a long wing.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Turn the rear clevis bolt into or out off the rear strut and pull down or push up at wing tip to align the bolt. Sometimes helps with two people and check with a digital level. M5 wings were built flat so oilcanning is to be expected.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

mike davis

Post by mike davis »

On above post try Bruce Harlow brain fart.