fabric repair

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

N9657

fabric repair

Post by N9657 »

I have some small repairs necessary on the inspection holes at the rear of the fusealage on my M5. Every mechanic I have talked to refuses to work on Razorback. From what I have been able to learn this fabric is a strong and durable covering. Why is it treated like a redheaded stepchild? All I keep hearing is replace it with poly-fiber or stits. I feel I would like to make the repairs myself but cannot find any info on the procedures. Any information would be appreciated.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Ceconite patches work. Flake the paint away around the hole and cut patch to fit with 2" overlap then glue to the razorback with butyrate thinned seamseal. Shrink tight then silver it, prime it and paint.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

N9657

Post by N9657 »

Thanks Jeremy. I ordered some butyrite from aircraft spruce. What is the silver you refer to.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Silver....is auminium flakes you mix with the butyrate dope and paint on the fabric for UV protection before applying paint.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

I have a seam on the right elevator that is separating. It began as a 1 inch and now has grown to @ 3 inches. Is there a material, method to repair or patch ?
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Most likely it is the tape lifting. If so the buy some gel type instant glue.
Feed very small amounts under the tape with a knife blade and press together. I have best luck when I place an apropriate weight on it to hold it down for a bit but not enough to depress the fabric.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide