inertial shoulder belts

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

donknee
100+ Posts

inertial shoulder belts

Post by donknee »

I am looking for some used/inexpensive inertial shoulder belts for the Maule. If anyone has upgraded to 4 point or knows of a good source...I'm interested. Thanks.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

A doctor once wrote that a 5 point belt is the best, a 3 point the next best and 4 point the next and 2 point the worst.
The 3 point, at impact, tightens the lower belt across the bone structure, whereas the 4 point pulls the lower belt upwards so that it is off the bone and traumatising the internal organs, causing potential internal bleeding. The 5 point holds the lower belt down.
At most common impact, forward, the upper torso accelerates forward faster than the lower body which is in frictional contact with the seat and has downward forces also.
Jeremy
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

compassheading

shoulder harness

Post by compassheading »

In my M-5-235 I used the inertia shoulder harness from Cub Crafters. Attaching the tube clamps to the carry through tube in the cabin just aft of the pilot or co-pilot's head. Be sure to order the correct size tube clamp. I am using the longer lap belt.

http://www.cubcrafters.com/cc/products/SeatBelts.asp

This is not STC'ed for the Maule but in my area it was not a problem for my mechanic or FSDO