Wax on Leading Edge of Wings

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Bob Leve

Wax on Leading Edge of Wings

Post by Bob Leve »

:) I was wondering if anyone regularly puts wax on the leading edge of the wings. I do that with my high performance glider as it increases the L/D and makes it much easier to get the bugs off. Of course the glider is a laminar flow wing and my M-5 certainly isn't a smooth laminar wing. Also, what waxes do people typically use with a Maule?

Secondly, what tire pressure do most people use with a Scott tailwheel and does it matter if one lands mostly on grass or pavement.

Thanks for any advice.
Bob Leve

RobBurson
100+ Posts

Post by RobBurson »

Bob, I use Pledge on the parts that attract bugs. They wipe right off with a damp rag.

My Alaska Bushwheel Scott clone tire says 70 psi. I'm told if you run low pressure in them and land extra firm they go pop. Cheers...Rob

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Standard size Maule and Scott tailwheel tyre pressure 55lbs
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

yellowbelly

Post by yellowbelly »

Bob

I'm in the Pledge camp too. (Lemon only). I also use it on my LE's, windshield and windows and my eyeglasses. It works well on the belly too if you keep after it and not let the build up of ka-ka get too thick.

YB

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

maules.com wrote:Standard size Maule and Scott tailwheel tyre pressure 55lbs
I would say at least, low tire pressure is one of the things that will give my Maule T/W the jittering fits. If you can see any sag in it it will shimmy. I'm not sure about the Scott, but I think 55 is OK, but not much less.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Oh and on the wax. I will honestly have 5 kts. difference between the C-210 I fly between a dirty airplane and a clean and waxed one. With my Maule there is no difference. I have used pledge on windshields before, I didn't know about it helping with bugs. I'm going to give it a try on the leading edges of everything now. :wink: I hate the bugs on my spinner, cowling, wings etc.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

RobBurson wrote:Bob, I use Pledge on the parts that attract bugs. They wipe right off with a damp rag.

My Alaska Bushwheel Scott clone tire says 70 psi. I'm told if you run low pressure in them and land extra firm they go pop. Cheers...Rob
Well, that's better than breaking off :oops:

RobBurson
100+ Posts

Post by RobBurson »

a64pilot wrote: Well, that's better than breaking off :oops:
Been there done that....

By the way I don't put pledge on the window. I would think it would be hard to see through. I might try a small area as a test. Cheers...Rob

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

The pledge was standard on the OH-58 windows. It will fill the tiny scratches and make a crazed window look a lot better.

RobBurson
100+ Posts

Post by RobBurson »

a64pilot wrote:The pledge was standard on the OH-58 windows. It will fill the tiny scratches and make a crazed window look a lot better.
Good, I'll give it a try.

By the way I just passed 100 hours in the Maule and 300 landings. October 13 will be 1 year since I got her. Regards...Rob

Mountainmauler

Post by Mountainmauler »

hi Bob, yes sir i hope we all wax the leading edges of everthing to keep the damn bugs from sticking and staining the paint. i use Mothers carnuba auto wax since the day i bought the plane. noproblems yet, carnuba wax is almost all the same. My wife bought me some Aeroshell "flight Jacket" avaition wax. i will soon use one on one wing and the other one on the opposite wing to see witch does better.

shit, i better go add a few pounds in my standard maule tailwheel. I have been running 45-50psi and get no shimmy unless at gross or if i land like shit. peter
2004 M-7 235c

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

I use a combo of Pledge, Prawler, and Plexas to keep 10Y clean and fast.
On the inside I use the Pledge wipes they work Great!!

jmtgt
100+ Posts

Post by jmtgt »

Hottshot wrote:I use a combo of Pledge, Prawler, and Plexas to keep 10Y clean and fast.
Fast? Did I miss something? :roll:

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

jmtgt wrote:
Hottshot wrote:I use a combo of Pledge, Prawler, and Plexas to keep 10Y clean and fast.
Fast? Did I miss something? :roll:

Hey It goes pretty fast..........

When I put it in a DIVE :twisted:

Mr. Ed

wax

Post by Mr. Ed »

I use "Flight Jacket" but only because the guy I got the plane from gave me a 2.5 gallon bucket of the stuf. The spray on lemon stuf sounds easier to apply, especially with VG's. I spent three days waxing and never did get to the wings. Sure does shine with the Flight Jacket though.