Engine Baffle

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Engine Baffle

Post by Green Hornet »

I'm getting two juxtaposed opinions as to placement of the front air intake baffle. One school of thought says the baffle should be in an upward posistion in order to form a box for the air to circulate over the engine top. The other school says the baffle flaps should be down below the front air intake in order to allow the most air to flow over the engine cylinders.
Any body know the correct posistion for front intake baffle flaps?
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

If you are speaking of the cooling air intake, the rubberized baffle material should be on top of the fibreglass with the stiffenstrips above that.
The material should most definitely be upward to deflect the air up over the front cylinders so as to flow downward through all cylinder fins from where it is drawn out past the mufflers and venyuried from the cowling at the exhaust egress. There should be more pull from the venturi than ram from the ingress.
The baffle material should come up to at least half way up the cylinders when forward ram pressure is against them.
I see many colings replaced with the baffling down and this will quickly damage the cylinders from inefficient cooling.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

Jermy,
Thanks I do have the baffling material half way up the cylinders always. I have made that part of my preflight and insisted that A& P's replace the cowling so that the baffling is upward. I was getting the cheap gas $ 4.05, 100LL @ KTCY. A Senior instructor in an Xperimental from WVFC also getting fuel was very convincing that the baffling should be " baffling down".
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT