Uncommanded Parking Brake Activation

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Does anyone have a rough idea of how much it would cost or how many hours it would take to replace the tab type parking brake with the hydraulic parking brake in drawing 9117E?
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

Post by Hale-Yes »

PM Sent

Old Piper
100+ Posts
Location: New York '75 M5-210C, Rebuilding (2) M7-235C for retirement sanity.

Uncommanded Parking Brake Activation

Post by Old Piper »

Pls. Share the estimated time and materials. This is one feature I would like to add.

Thanks
Tom

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

If Maule can supply the hoses, bracket and valve, etc. as a kit that would probably be best way to buy it all. Has anyone priced this from Maule?

Still have to weld the bracket and tab to the tubes. My compass hates me every time i weld on the frame. Could probably use a couple of adel clamps but then you are not in compliance with the drawing. Looks like something best done at annual when floorboards are already out at best.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

A kit would definitely be nice. One stop shopping and no fab except the bracket. Dwayne?
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

1:1 Scale
100+ Posts

Post by 1:1 Scale »

I've got my plane down to the frame and looked into adding the hydraulic parking brake. I spoke with someone at Maule (I forget who it was, but maybe Brian or Duane?), and they said they had either never seen one, or only a VERY limited number.

I couldn't find the specified valve either, which is what prompted the call, so I'm not installing one.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

That valve is either identical or very similar to the one installed stock on Citabrias and Scouts. I’d call American Champion and ask them.

ajak
100+ Posts

Re: Uncommanded Parking Brake Activation

Post by ajak »

Guess this is an old post, but wondering if anyone has any newer experience on how involved it is converting the old tabbed parking brakes to the hydraulic ones (Drawing # 9117E)? I am currently highly motivated after an incident the other day where one of the tabs wouldn't release after landing and parking on a steep sloped backcountry strip. Apparently it wasn't a particularly confidence inspiring experience for my wife who was watching me lying upside down working on disconnecting the tab far off the grid with clouds starting to roll in.
AJ
1983 M-6-235
IO-540W1A5D, 81" Hartzell, 4" ext gear, 31" tires, Atlee exhaust, long wings, VGs, LED ldg/nav/strobes, EDM-900, CiES

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Asa to the white courtesy phone…

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

ajak wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:32 pm
Guess this is an old post, but wondering if anyone has any newer experience on how involved it is converting the old tabbed parking brakes to the hydraulic ones (Drawing # 9117E)? I am currently highly motivated after an incident the other day where one of the tabs wouldn't release after landing and parking on a steep sloped backcountry strip. Apparently it wasn't a particularly confidence inspiring experience for my wife who was watching me lying upside down working on disconnecting the tab far off the grid with clouds starting to roll in.
I did it during my m6 rebuild and it works perfectly. Here’s the process overall.

- Source the hydraulic valve

- Remove current parking brake tabs, cable/spring, etc

- Weld up valve bracket per drawing

- Weld bracket onto airframe per drawing

- Build new brake lines to go from the cylinders to valve to landing gear. Requires new routing and may interfere with heater scat depending on your config.

- install/rig new push/pull control to operate the valve.

It would be a huge hassle to do the welding and hose routing and such with the airplane assembled but could be done I imagine. I did mine on a bare airframe. Personally I’d just delete your current parking brake and not bother with the hydraulic unless you’re pulling the plane apart for a recover or something.

whittakerw

Post by whittakerw »

I'm adding one also, had a hard time finding the valve. Ended up finding one through a several year old post on the Citabria forum. I bought one this spring, imagine he still has one more.

Here's a link to the forum topic- https://champcitabriadecathlonforums.co ... s-fs.1119/