what brake disc to use?

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

UP-M5
100+ Posts

what brake disc to use?

Post by UP-M5 »

i am switching to double puck cleveland brakes and was wondering what brake disc others were using? the brakes will be going on with a set of 29" bushwheels.
i see the M7's with the HD brakes from the factory use the 164-03601 discs, but i believe these would put the caliper too close to the rubber of the big tires. do you have to use spacers with these like with the 8.50 tires that i have on now (with a factory single puck setup) ?
i thought i could use a C-185 brake disc ( p/n 164-01501) that has a "deeper" dish to it. ie- moving the disc and the caliper farther away from the sidewall of the tire.
the calipers, torque plates, and wheels i have all came off a C-185 as well, so i can't think of any reason this wouldn't work :?:
anyone else with big rubber have any thoughts or experience with this?
thanks.

ryan~
M5-235

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

I believe the later generation 29" don't need the spacers. If you have too deep a dish, the caliper pins will come out of or bind in the torque plate holes as your pads wear. The double caliper needs a 3/8" disc for heat absorption and anti warpage.
AK bushwheels can get you the facts when getting your tyres.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

thanks jeremy. all of the discs i am considering are the thicker 3/8" type.
the tires I have are the old style bias bushwheels. they seem to be a little bit wider looking than the radials i have seen.
the only reason i am concerned is because i have seen other peoples calipers rub a groove in the rubber sidewalls.

i'll be able to test fit them in a few days and find out what does or doesn't work.
M5-235

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

That is the correct disk, (164-03601) Happy flyin'

:D

Give me a call with your ser #'s and we can make sure you do or don't need the spacers