Shimmy Damper

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

mikemike

Shimmy Damper

Post by mikemike »

What is the proper way to service the shimmy damper in a Maule MXT-7-180? Thanks. - Mike

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

Get the tailwheel :lol:

Just messin with ya...I have no idea.
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To a pilot, the sky is home."

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Mike,
I'm pretty sure you can download the maintenance manual from Maule's web site. I like that you can do that and not have to buy one :D

mikemike

Shimmy Damper

Post by mikemike »

Unfortunately, the maintenance manual does not address the shimmy damper (either under landing gear or nosewheel and nosewheel oleo strut). I'm in for annual now and last annual the mechanic topped the shimmy damper off with hydraulic fluid. I can't remember which way it wouldn't turn, but let's say it wouldn't turn right. Therefore every time I wanted to turn right, I would have to turn left 270°. At first it would turn both directions, but upon landing it "locked up". You can imagine explaining that to the tower. The mechanic let some of the fluid back out, and that made the problem go away. However, it was only a guess as to how much should be taken out. - Mike

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Where in Fla. are you?

mikemike

Post by mikemike »

Tallahassee. I could call the Maule factory, or fly up to Moultrie. I was hoping that with 139 MXTs, that someone had already determined the proper procedure (especially since a few of those have had annuals for 15 years).
Last edited by mikemike on Tue May 08, 2007 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

Check with Jeremy (maules.com) before you make the trip to Moultrie.
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To a pilot, the sky is home."

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

mikemike

PM

Post by mikemike »

Lowflybye, thanks, I sent Jeremy a PM about two hours ago. You are right, he has the correct answers! - Mike

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The nosewheel shimmy damper is a sealed unit and not serviceable as I understand it. If bad, it must be replaced.
The nosewheel strut is another story and can be resealed and/or topped up with nitrogen and hydraulic oil.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

mikemike

Post by mikemike »

Jeremy, the shimmy damper on my MXT-7-180 "may" be serviceable. I base that on the problem identified above which was solved by the mechanic bleeding a small amount of hydraulic fluid from the damper (so the unit is not sealed). Maybe the damper should not have had hydraulic fluid added? I have only seen a screw in one end that you might add hydraulic fluid if the damper was taken off the airplane first so you could point the opening up. I am now thinking that hydraulic fluid was added when none should have been added. Thanks. - Mike

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

Nosewheels!!!!!!!! :evil:
Iceman

John

shimmy damper

Post by John »

The shimmey damper is serviceable with hydraulic oil. Maule did not have a break down drawing. I believe I got the drawing and service notes from Parker Haniffin (Cleveland). Very specfic amount of fluid to go in it measured in cc's. Too much and it will lock up. If you want I can get paper work from hangar and fax to you.
3155B-John

mikemike

Shimmy Damper

Post by mikemike »

John, I really appreciate the information. I don't have ready access to a fax, could you describe the procedure? If that won't easily work, I will send you the local FedEx Kinko's number so you can send it there. Thanks. - Mike

John

Post by John »

Mike, Sorry, I haven't got back to you sooner, we were up in the Idaho back country at Sulphur Creek Ranch for an extended weekend, thanks to Mother Nature. I'll get the paperwork from the hangar and scan it in for an attachment, if you give me your email address. Ours is: loralee_schmidt@hotmail.com
3155B-John

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Hey John, me too?
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide