Window vents

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Mr. Ed

Window vents

Post by Mr. Ed »

Anybody out there have a problem with leaking window vents. All three of mine leak. The left one not too bad but the right two require passengers to have a rag handy. Windows and vents are in great shape with no cracks or chips. Is there a fix short of caulking the thing shut? :x

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Now your going to get mad at me for saying this, but if you fly in trim it will hardly leak. the trim ball is just a level, it could be off just a smidjin. If it's not perfectly level when the airplane is then you will be flying slightly out of trim with the ball centered. Try using a piece of yarn taped to the windshield to sense aerodynamic trim. The piece of yarn should be perfectly straight up the windshield when the ball is centered. You will probably have to experiment to find a good non turbelent place for the string. I haven't done it on a Maule, so I don't know where there is laminar flow on the windshield. I have seen turn coordinators be a little off before as far as being mounted perfectly.

Mr. Ed

Post by Mr. Ed »

Thanks,
NO, I didn't get mad. Looking for any ideas, even if it's technique or lack there of. I get plenty of opportunities to fly in the rain and will try trimming next time I'm getting a free airpolane wash :lol: . Trouble is, the plane is wings level and hands off now so I am not too sure that trimming is the problem.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Mr. Ed,
I guess I'm stupid, forego the string thing, if it's raining then the water will do the same thing. If it's running straight up the center of the windshield then your in trim. I haven't done it, but I would bet one could put a small "bead" of clear silicone around the edge of the circular part of the vent. I would open it completely and fill the 90 deg portion of the circle with a small amount of silicone, let it dry overnight and it should provide a water tight seal when closed. If it doesn't work it could be easily removed.
Send some of your rain down here, we need it desperately.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Usually, if the swivel catch is adjusted to hold the vent in place properly all I get is a few drops of water. You could stick a thin foam around the recessed part of the vent maybe.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide