3-point seat belts too short

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

51598Rob
100+ Posts

Post by 51598Rob »

Call Jim at BAS Inc.
Let Freedom Prevail

MS Pirate

Post by MS Pirate »

When we switched from a single belt in back seat, we used airframe parts and drawings from Maule.
Installed NON-inertial reel belts.
The belts we ordered from Hooker Harness and have been extremely satisfied with their products.
All work was done with an entry in Airframe Logbook (per instruction from FSDO Inspector, all done in 2005)
I will post measurements for belts when I get back to the plane,,,

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

MS Pirate wrote:When we switched from a single belt in back seat, we used airframe parts and drawings from Maule.
Installed NON-inertial reel belts.
The belts we ordered from Hooker Harness and have been extremely satisfied with their products.
All work was done with an entry in Airframe Logbook (per instruction from FSDO Inspector, all done in 2005)
I will post measurements for belts when I get back to the plane,,,
I wish I had spent more time taking a closer look at everyone's airplanes during the Lone Star Maules Winter Fly-in, I might have spotted that and could have picked your brain and measured them then and there.
If there are any part numbers to go with those measurement I'd appreciate it as well.

I'll also check with BAS tomorrow and have a couple other options I am looking into so I can figure out the best way to get this done.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I want to replace my rear sling seat inertial reel belts with Hooker Harness non-inertial reel belts too. They quoted me $200 per belt and need seated lap and shoulder measurements.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

StuporRocket
100+ Posts

Post by StuporRocket »

Hooker's Scott McPhillips will be at Sun N Fun in April. He can measure your plane(s) then and answer any questions anyone may have. He'll also have sample materials and colors there to choose from when ordering your new belts.
Scott@Oglesby.org

"Don't follow me. You won't make it."
PA-12-150
M-7-235

MS Pirate

Post by MS Pirate »

Talk to Scott at Hooker Harness
815-233-5478

Part Numbers:

REAR SEAT
Shoulder 2D3030-3D
Lap 206440

FRONT SEAT
Shoulder 1Y542430-4
Lap 1013030

Also, see: Hooker Harness Seatbelts, M5
For more info...

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Jeremy, my rear sling seat inertial reel is much closer to the side of a passenger's head than the front seat reel. Maule Flight installed the reels. When I installed the sling seat quick release kit, the new top bar was somewhat aft of the non-quick release sling seat bar, which put the inertial reel directly beside the heads of rear seat passengers on either side. Are others having the same problem?
Andy
1986 MX7-180

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Yes, the only option is to use the rear of the two bolts, or do away with inertia reels for rear seat passengers as they don’t need them for reaching panel, flaps etc.
You could also carve a dense foam protecter
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide