Alternator Control Issue

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Jeremy,
We are home now. Got home today. Tuktoyakto, I that is how it is spelled anyway. I was in Dawson and looked at the map and thought as long as we are this close, why not go for it. Wife saw three beluga whales. The mosquitos have to be experienced to be believed.
Except for the hot start issue the ole Maule worked perfect with no issues.

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

Good to see you made it home...when I drove by the field this morning I noticed that your plane was already gone. Nothing like an early flight. It was good to finally meet you and I look forward to seeing you again at a fly-in.
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To a pilot, the sky is home."

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Tuktoyuktuk has one of the greatest Native dance troops I have had the fortune to see.
Hope you took some pictures.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Norm

Post by Norm »

Re the alternator:

My 2001 M7 260 sometimes has shown a discharge on the ammeter and the red light comes on. Most times it will reset ... usually. I had the alternator rebuilt and thought my woes were past but it has happend again 3 or 4 times since the recent alt rebuild.

So I called Jerry @ Maule and he said that sometimes the zip ties are put on too tight and that with vibration it can cause a (temporary) bad connection. Loosen the zips he said to let the wires have a little more freedom of movement. He suggested that I start with the 1 amp fuse in the engine compartment (for my model year).

So this will be my upcoming weekend project ...

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

If zip ties effect your out put, fix it. this should not happen. The old JIGGLE it trick is only ok on farm tractors and lawn mowers. On the other hand your rebuild could be faulty.
Two things scare the hell out of me, electrical fire and fire itself.
Good luck
Last edited by 210TC on Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

When you guys do your annuals pull the alternator belt and spin it to listen to the bearings.
Mine had a rear bearing noise. I replaced both bearings and the brushes for under 100 bucks. Had I not checked, I would have had a stator/armature replacement +++.
The rear bearing is a weak link and you don't need to send it out to a shop that will charge you many many bucks. If these parts had not been aircraft approved I would have only spent about 25 bucks, O well.