Atlee Dodge Exhaust

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

bobguhr
100+ Posts

Post by bobguhr »

It's been some time now, anyone have a long term report on the Atlee Dodge muffs? I'm debating between AD and Dawley, my prior 0-360 was good for one weld job every 2 or three oil changes and now I just found a crack on my current 0-540 exhaust. I would like to shelve the welding routine and use the saved time for flying. Yes, the joints are loose and the crack on the O-540 is probably my fault throttle jockeying and induced some backfire to catch a good drop on landing.

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

i've got almost 700 hours on my atlee mufflers. no cracks yet! great product.
M5-235

bobguhr
100+ Posts

Post by bobguhr »

I bought the mufflers from Atlle Dodge and I'll be putting them on this weekend. It's like apples and oranges, the Atlee's have larger diameter header sections than the stock muffs and the welds on the inside of the flanges are ground. The steel is a thicker gauge than stock and there are heat sinks on the outside of the cans. Also the two outside head pipes are continuous from the can to the flanges, the center pipe is a slip fit to the flanged head pipe. Looking forward to putting some time on these.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

What's the current situation on the F. Atlee Dodge mufflers for the O-360 Maules? STC or field approval? Couldn't find them on the Univair website and the www.fadodge.com website no longer exists.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Andy-
Talk to Steve at Atlee, tell him what you're after and they will Rebuild your system and repair, but you will have to send them your old system...
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Stumpwater

F Atlee Dodge muffler data

Post by Stumpwater »

I just bought new mufflers from Atlee Dodge for my M6-235. Cliff at Atlee was very helpful. I thought I would share some data:

They're definitely more sturdy than stock! Substantially thicker flanges. Also, for the fuel injected folks- The alternate air apparatus on the front of the left muffler has two additional supports welded on, I should think that alone is a significant improvement for longevity, but I haven't been around Maules long enough to know if that's a problem point or not.

Weights:

Maule OEM muffler only (no tail pipe or shroud): 4.9 lbs left side
Atlee left side: 6.85
Atlee Right side 6.75

We didn't weigh my OEM right side.

In total the Atlee pieces are almost 4 lbs. heavier, but clearly more durable.

One difference that I expect is significant enough to outweigh the extra weight--- the tubes on the Atlee pieces have a 1 5/8" ID, while the OEMs are 1 3/8" ID.... A quarter inch difference! Does it matter? Don't know! Relatively slow turning engines, but big cylinders. Would love to see a dyno/thrust comparison.