M5 Battery Location

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

derekpye

M5 Battery Location

Post by derekpye »

My M5-210 has a Gill battery under the co-pilot seat.

Is a move to aft of the cargo bay authorised?

If so please tell me where I can access the installation details

Thanks

Derek

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

My M-4 210 is on the pilot's side behind the aft bulkhead. Why do you want to move it? Several issues I have with it being back there is it makes the tail that much heavier, it doesn't preheat with the cabin/engine in the winter, it adds weight and resistance to the starting system through longer cables. I'm thinking about moving mine to the firewall and going to a gel cell battery.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

derekpye

Post by derekpye »

Thanks for the advice.

I wanted to move it because I had considered fitting a larger (G35) battery to improve starting and this won't fit under the front co-pilot seat.

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

Don't do it! If you want better starts, get a dry cell Odyssey battery and put it under the seat or on the firewall. They will out crank a g-35 and are much lighter. There is a battery box approved for either an under seat or firewall installation. I have the firewall mod and highly recommend it.

MikeW

derekpye

Post by derekpye »

Mike,

Thanks for the recommendations - I have decided to follow your advice.

Do you have any details of the modification?

Regards

Derek

derekpye

Post by derekpye »

Mike,

I forgot to ask - which model did you fit

Thanks

Derek

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

It's the SBS J-16. As of last year it was the only Odyssey PMA'd for aircraft, specifically the super cub. It has been mounted on all kinds of models, 180/185s, Stinsons, Maules etc... I would recommend before you buy the battery, to get with your mechanic, pop your cowling off and figure out where you want to mount it. Mine is on the upper left firewall, just below the cowl lip, if I'm facing the airplane from the front. There are two battery boxes that fit this battery and are approved. One is by Attlee Dodge (visit their website), the other is the Burl's battery box. Either can be used but the battery goes in and out of them differently so where you want to mount it is important in determining which one to get. Also, this mod is done under a field approval so make sure you are famailiar with that process.

MikeW.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

I don't think a field approval is possible in Europe unless it's a US registered aircraft?
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

derekpye

Post by derekpye »

Thanks for that.

It is US "N" registered

derek

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

There is no reason to consider the Gill. You can damn near taxi on the Odyssey. 8)
Live it like its your last day.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

How about the new Lithium Iron (not Ion) that was talked about at Valdez. 2.1 lbs 500ccAmps was spoken of.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

That's not TSO'd or PMA'd yet and this would create problems getting it field approved. The odyssey is TSO'd and very easy to field approve. Not sure how long the lithium iron will be in pipeline before approval, but suspect it'll be awhile... Save about 10lbs with Odyssey, will be about 22lbs with lithium iron over Gill G25.. Substantial savings!! :lol:
Last edited by aero101 on Tue May 10, 2011 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

xwildcat
100+ Posts

Post by xwildcat »

It's awful dark under the cowl...

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Li-Po or Li-Ion have special charging requirements, make sure that's built into the battery.
They catch fire sometimes if you try to charge them like a lead acid battery.

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Jody, you're right on the Lithium Ion, UPS has attributed the loss of one and possibly another AC to these.
The Lithium Iron spoken of is completely inert. The larger batteries have a 20 amp charge rate. The smaller ones do not and require attention to that end. I'm looking forward to seeing what these are all about. The batteries we're currently using are about as modern as the engines they spin. Not sayin' much there.
Live it like its your last day.