HEADLINER

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

flyer
100+ Posts

HEADLINER

Post by flyer »

I am about to install a new headliner in my M-5. I did not remove the old headliner but I do have it.

I need to know the easiest way to install the new one. I need to know what adhesive and what tricks are involved.

I need to know what mistakes to avoid since I seem to be mistake prone.

Thanks

flyer
Flyer

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

EASY --

Let someone else do it!!! :lol:

flyer
100+ Posts

Post by flyer »

Wup

Thanks, that is really helpful.

flyer
Flyer

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

you'll want a can of 3M adhesive p/n 1300L. borrow some from your friendly local FBO, or you can order it from your favorite aviation supplier. $20-$30 for a quart i think, and that will last you a long time.

i haven't personally done one- but whoever installed the one in my maule used gobs of 1300L. looks like they used some duct tape to hold it up into place while the glue dried.

hope this helps get ya started.
M5-235

flyer
100+ Posts

Post by flyer »

M5-235

Thanks for that.

flyer
Flyer

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

I was hoping someone would describe it for you as there is alot to write.
Briefly, Wings on, cables hooked up and tensioned, insulation fitted, all window and door trim removed and cleaned (no old glue). Seatbelt fixings welded in. Place hoops in sleeves in correct order as removed. Fit rear hoop and put a wrap of safety wire in 3 places across top of hoop by pushing through the sleeve then wire to airframe tight enough that the hoop is an inch or two ahead of the flap pulley. You will tighten these wires later to taughten. Set all hoops. pull sides of headliner downward and clamp in place, cutting sleeve ends if necessary, and in a manner as to centralize along top of fuselage. If you have a skylight then glue forward., if not the clamp for now on speaker plate after cutting hole, then take forward to forward bar behind windshield. Hope the aluminium ear piece formers are sound or replace. Fabric goes on outside of these then through sideholes of windshield and glues to outside of plexiglass. Hold with tape at first. After everything is aligned, then pull down at sides and glue with contact glue....don't get it wrong as you can't try again. Tighten rear hold wires and make sure they don't abraid the tube paint.
Or, as Wup said.....
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

flyer
100+ Posts

Post by flyer »

Jeremy

Thanks. I was pretty sure that I could count on you for help. Good instructions.

If anyone else has any other hints, I would appreciate them.

Thanks

flyer
Flyer

g5280

Post by g5280 »

Flyer, a friend of mine put a headliner in a M4 years ago. The only thing I can remember was he took the old liner out and had a regular shop use it as pastern for the new one and I know he saved a bunch of money He supplied the fire retardant marital
Good luck
Gary
Gary, Maule 9159E
1977 M5 235 IO 540J
Tundra Tires

flyer
100+ Posts

Post by flyer »

Gary

Thanks

flyer
Flyer

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Wow Gary, he supplied the fire retardent 'marital' ....hot stuff!
"joshing"
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

flyer
100+ Posts

Post by flyer »

Jeremy

I think you would not want fire retardant for a marital situation. I think a good marital situation would seem to need fire retardant at first but if let burn, it would continue indefinitely as a slow burn. It may be out of sight, but just below the surface, it would burn deeply. I paraphrase from ALWAYS.

We digress. He may have meant material. Ya think.

flyer
Flyer

g5280

Post by g5280 »

YA! YA! YA! Have your fun. The real funny part of the whole thing was I reworded the whole comment I was trying to spell upholstery with an A ( Apholstrey ) and word wouldn’t help me. Keep laughing!
Be Safe
Gary
Gary, Maule 9159E
1977 M5 235 IO 540J
Tundra Tires

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I'll second what Wup said. I'd rather rebuild an engine than tackle that headliner.
on edit: let us know how it works out for you. Any chance of getting an upholster that maybe has done a couple of old cars like Volkswagons to help?

Rolf

Post by Rolf »

I replaced the headliner in my M-7 two years ago and my best friend was one of those portable steamers. Took any wrinkle out. $50 bucks and you can use it for cleaning a lot of stuff.
N235TT
Have plane, will fish

flyer
100+ Posts

Post by flyer »

Rolf

What type of portable steamer did you use and where did you buy it?

flyer
Flyer