Orange Hose from cowl to air intake?

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

widgeon13

Orange Hose from cowl to air intake?

Post by widgeon13 »

I have an MX7 180A and was looking at the orange hose that goes from the cowl back to the carb intake, can anyone tell me the required length and diameter of this hose. Mine is pretty shabby on the ends and when putting it on the cowl and air intake the wire has torn the fabric causing the hose to get shorter. I want to replace this hose. Are there any better alternatives and where is the best place to purchase.

Thanks for the assistance.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

3' long will give you some extra for trimming and duct is 3" diameter. You can use either (original) SCAT-12 or SCEET-12, the SCEET is a little more expensive, but heavier duty and will last / wear / flow better. Any well stocked FBO should have available or can order from Aircraft Spruce for best price...
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

widgeon13

Post by widgeon13 »

Thanks again. I figured 3" and 3' would work but just wanted to check. Appreciate the quick response.

Mac F-22

Post by Mac F-22 »

I'm the proud new owner of a 1990 M-7-235, and after spending the last week going over it with a fine tooth comb and doing some maintenance to the engine (new silicone valve cover gaskets among other things) I discovered what a pain it was to get the ram-air hose back on the bottom cowl, any advice (am i missing something, should this be easy) or has anyone fabricated a quick disconnect? Thanks!
-Brad

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Which hose?
If it is the 2" one on the right, leave it clamped at the cowl end then before fastening the right side Dzus's reach in and attach the hose.
If it is the left side 2" attach to cowl at front before lifting the cowl into position the last foot.
You can rest the cowl on a stool or support of some sort while fastening the hose clamp. Later models have four rivnuts attached to the screened cowl fitting and four #6 screws enter from front of cowl and into rivnuts on inside of cowl.
1990 M7 will have the 33'8" wing. By changing the short 53" ailerons to 60" you will get more roll response at low speeds and it will become an M7-235A.
I may have one aileron.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

chris_01

Post by chris_01 »

I want to replace the same hose with the Sceet-12 as mine is falling apart at the front end - and I'm just missing an inch or so to get it right.
I have the MXT-7-180A - Will 3ft be enough as well for mine or is it different due to the front wheel?
D-EMUX
MXT-7-180A