Annuals

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Annuals

Post by maules.com »

Ladies and Gentlemen a reminder. Many are now doing annuals, me included and this is to remind you all to check "every" nut and bolt, especially those at a point of rotation or movement. Just because it flew only 20hrs last year means nothing. I am annualling a plane that supposedly was annualled for the last 9yrs and am finding things not done in the past but signed as airworthy. A friend just called with a castellated nut found on the floor and on searching for a home for it (the trim wheel) he discovered that either it was not checked in the last 4 annuals since it left the factory, maybe without a flare on the cotter, or the cotter fell out this year or got pulled out maybe while cleaning with a rag or, who knows.
Just a heads up to take a few minutes extra.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

AK Mauler

Post by AK Mauler »

Jeremy makes a very good point. On my annual last month I made a discovery of a missing alternator bolt on the adjustment arm. I am certain this was left off from the previous year when the mechanic removed the prop and flywheel. I was very lucky the belt did not come loose. From now on I make a point to carefully check everything and not rely completely on the A&P.
Jon Conger
MX7-180AC
N4261E