Gill G35 Or G35M

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Tomkatz
100+ Posts

Gill G35 Or G35M

Post by Tomkatz »

Guys,

I have a bad battery in the aircraft and a never used Gill G35. Does the MX-7-180B require a G35 or a G35M? The battery is under the seat. I know the "M" stands for manifold and I'm assuming this is a vent manifold.
Any additional knowledge is appreciated. BTW, it is a 1996 aircraft and electrlite has not been yet added to the unused battery.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Take care all,
Tom[/list]
Tom K.

TomD
100+ Posts

Battery

Post by TomD »

You may want to consider the Concorde Recombinant gas Mat battery.

This is the one is standard equipment for you bird:

http://www.concordebattery.com/flyer.php?id=37

This one is PMA'd and approved:

http://www.concordebattery.com/flyer.php?id=38

chetharris
100+ Posts

Think about the Odyssey SBSJ-16

Post by chetharris »

I think you will find many very happy pilots flying behind an Odyssey SBSJ-16 dry cell battery: http://www.skygeek.com/odyssey-battery.html.

These things have plenty of cranking power, and they cut your battery weight in half. They are approved on cubs --PMA, and it should not be too hard to get a field approval on a Maule.

Tomkatz
100+ Posts

Post by Tomkatz »

The thing is, I have on hand the Gill and will have to use it at some point. I would like to use it now. The last 3 batteries which have been in the aircraft have been G35's. I just can't find a 337. I will look on the original equipment list. I do look forward to the new gas batteries.
Tom K.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Anyone have the 337 paperwork and installation photos for one of the Odyssey batteries in an M-4 210C? Hopefully I'll get another year or two out of my current battery but I like the thought of the lighter battery under the front seat instead of the heavy one way out back... Saving 12lbs plus cable weight would be nice.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

carbon unit

I did the odyssey batt on the firewall last summer, one of the shops on lake hood did it and has all the paperwork. One of the best mods I ever did. I had battled starting issues with the Gill in the tail and can't say enough about the odyssey. Under the seat would work, especially with the big motor airplanes for CG, but the firewall mount is great for preheat and keeping the tail light. All total I got rid of 31 pounds on my empty weight number. I would strongly recommend this to anyone.

mikew

Tomkatz
100+ Posts

Post by Tomkatz »

Mike,
What aircraft do you have?
Thanks ,
Tom
Tom K.

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

Tom,

I have a '73 M-4/5 210C.

MikeW

Tomkatz
100+ Posts

Post by Tomkatz »

Do you know if the Odyssey STC covers a MX& 180B?
Tom K.

chetharris
100+ Posts

Post by chetharris »

I think the only STC for the battery is in the Piper cubs, but it is becoming a quite common field approval. I know of several Maules and Cessnas.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

I have paperwork for odysey in the mx7 and I've done a couple of M-5's as well. It's an easy field approval up here in Alaska but you'll need an IA to do the paperwork for you.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/e ... seydry.php

You need to use the odysey SBS J-16 (or Hawker same model) as it's approved for aircraft use due to it's explosion proof case. I also use the Odysey hold down case at the bottom of same page as they're inexpensive and battery fits it nicely. I split a long hose clamp, attach it to the sides of case for the battery hold down and usually trim up the top of it to allow easier battery removal. Firewall works nicely as you can preheat with engine as MikeW mentioned.
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

JLB

Post by JLB »

Mikew,

31 lbs off the aircraft is amazing! Not easy to get that much weight out of the plane no matter what you do, well maybe if I only drank light beer. :oops:

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

I echo Tom D's experience. I have had a lot better reliability with the The RG-35AXC Aircraft Battery From Concorde Battery Corporation.
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT