OIL FILTER CHANGE

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

flyer
100+ Posts

OIL FILTER CHANGE

Post by flyer »

How do I change the oil filter on my Lycoming 0-360 without dripping oil all over the engine? It does not take much time to change the filter but it does take a lot to get the spilled oil cleaned up. There must be some trick to this.

Thanks

Flyer
Flyer

TomD
100+ Posts

oil change

Post by TomD »

I got one of those sorta semi-circular "spit" trays from the hospital and hold it under the filter while I spin it off.

That way I can catch most if not all the oil as it drips from the filter.

The only trick is to extract the tray without spilling it.

TD

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

If you have a rug rat running around the house, steal one of their (unused) diapers. It's designed to absorb water, but they will absorb oil, just not as well.
I admit I haven't used the diaper trick in a while, maybe if I can get the grandkids around more then I will have a supply again. :lol:

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

I tear the longer closure strip of cardboard from the oil case, crease longtitudonally, and place on the fuel pump under the oil filter boss. This routes the oilout to the side where it falls in my drain bucket.
Another way to skin a cat.
Jeremy
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

flyer
100+ Posts

OIL FILTER CHANGE

Post by flyer »

GENTLEMEN

Thank you for your replies. I will try each of them or maybe a combination. I hate dripping oil all over the engine.

Thanks

Flyer
Flyer

taildragger
100+ Posts

Post by taildragger »

Can you try just putting a garbage bag around the filter and unscrewing right into the bag and catching the draining oil into the bag as you remove the filter? Just a thought.

Scott

manatee

I use a bread bag

Post by manatee »

I use a bread bag or some other small plastic bag. I'll loosen the filter just enough to be able to get it off with my hand, then slip the bag all the way around the filter, being careful not to put holes in it with the safety wire ends. Then, holding the filter, through the bag which is high enough to catch any and all spilled oil, I unsrew the filter. If all goes well, I can get it off without spilling a drop with the mess completely contained in the bag. It took a couple of times to perfect the technique, but now it works pretty slick - as long as I don't poke a hole in the bag with something.
The Flying Manatee

flyer
100+ Posts

OIL FILTER CHANGE

Post by flyer »

THANKS FOR THE IDEAS. THEY ARE ALL GOOD IDEAS.

FLYER
Flyer

N6EA

Post by N6EA »

Marine supply stores (such as West Marine) have absorbent mats for bilges that work very well for filter changes. They are about 2' square. Some Marina's even have a supply on hand, that they give away, so people will use them during oil changes and prevent oil in the bilge which eventually gets pumped over board.

Mark
1971 M4-220C
"You can land anywhere, once..."