gas smell when changing tanks?

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

cj8vet

gas smell when changing tanks?

Post by cj8vet »

went from both to rt a couple of times and we note a gas smell for a few minutes after the change? anything to worry about? (we dont smoke :-)) easy fix?
mark

sorry-meant to be in maint. folder
cj8vet
mark richardson
MXT-180
N234PP

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Hi Mark,
Change the oring,s in your fuel selector valve.

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

What he said...

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

I should explain in more detail.
This happened to me on my flight to Alaska. Each time I switched tanks I smelt fuel and noticed a small amount of fuel on the selector shaft. This would dry up in a minute or two. HOWEVER, the left kick panel needs to be removed and this has to be verified and ALL of the lines in and around the fuel selector valve need to be inspected.
If you do not have someone in your area to fix this problem, give me a call.

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

While your at it...
My plane had little time in the previous years prior to my purchase. I started putting some time on it and every fuel connection began to leak to a certain degree. This included the fuel injection.
So, look at all of them very closely, look for blue staining, do like 210 suggests and pull the kick panel. Look the fuel shut off and header tank very closely. Pull the floor boards in that area and look for staining on the inside belly.
This falls under the "been there, done that" story. I found that it was easier to replace the fuel selector with "Left, Right & Both" than to rebuild the original. The guy in the hangar next to me had to replace his in a 182 at the same time. Here's the fun part: Maule = $92.00 Cessna = $740! They're almost identical that I could see.

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

YELLOWMAULE wrote:While your at it...
My plane had little time in the previous years prior to my purchase. I started putting some time on it and every fuel connection began to leak to a certain degree. This included the fuel injection.
So, look at all of them very closely, look for blue staining, do like 210 suggests and pull the kick panel. Look the fuel shut off and header tank very closely. Pull the floor boards in that area and look for staining on the inside belly.
This falls under the "been there, done that" story. I found that it was easier to replace the fuel selector with "Left, Right & Both" than to rebuild the original. The guy in the hangar next to me had to replace his in a 182 at the same time. Here's the fun part: Maule = $92.00 Cessna = $740! They're almost identical that I could see.

Yep dun the same here!! infact just rebuild the boost pump last night!! and the fuel valve in Dec. :roll:

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Yellowmaule, I have an m5 and no header tank. I did order a complete unit from Maule, but after close inspection the housing was perfect and I just installed the new guts. The reason I did not pull the hole unit is because mine has no flex lines to the valve, they are bent aluminum and I did not want to bend them to remove and bent back to install as I felt this could open a hole new bag of worms.
After close inspection of the old guts, I found no grooves or imperfection's in the shaft, so I now have an extra back-up with new oring's.
Another one of my airplane's has the same valve with the same problem, again I just installed an APPROVED new oring.
Hopefully, Mark just needs a fresh oring.
I recall an inspection required of one of the fuel line's in this location due to possible contact with an airframe tube?
The way I found the leak in the Maule was first a smell then when I switched from one tank to the other I rubbed the bottom of the selector shaft with the side of my index finger and I could smell raw fuel on my finger.
Last edited by 210TC on Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

I agree, the aluminum lines can be tricky but I did mine anyway, figured I'd come this far so I pulled the header tank and lines to check for corosion, added a little fuel system sealant to the threads of the lines and reinstalled. A miserable location to work but well worth it, I know it's done. Besides, my IA is annal as hell and did'nt give me any choices. Ex-Marine type.

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Yellowmaule, which maule comes with a header tank?? I have never seen one.

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

210TC wrote:Yellowmaule, which maule comes with a header tank?? I have never seen one.
Me too??? :?: :?:

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The IO360 210hp Continental and the 420shp Allison have a header tank.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

donknee
100+ Posts

boost pump

Post by donknee »

Even though I have a carbuerated engine, as part of my engine start-up checklist I bump the boost pump and watch for the fuel pressure rise. I like the idea of using the pump and moving some fuel through it...it should last longer. :roll:
1976 M5-235-C

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Thanks for the clairification Jeremy.
Wow! I share something with the 420! I'm almost there!!