repainting with VG's

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

UP-M5
100+ Posts

repainting with VG's

Post by UP-M5 »

this may be a silly question..... but here goes:

i need a set of vg's, but i am wondering what to do about them when it is time to recover/repaint. my fabric/paint is from 1986 and its not in too bad shape. but the day will come in 5-10 years when i will recover it. i planned on stripping and repainting the wings also, but with vg's stuck on there it will be a huge mess. on a fabric wing plane its easy- but what have people been doing on maules??? is there a way to get the glue to release? then can the vg's be reused, or is it another $700? i wouldn't want to have to work around them, i have seen people try to paint them on the wing :roll: this obviously doesn't work.
just picking your brains......
thanks
M5-235

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

If you're not going to repaint for 10 years, I would'nt worry about it. Or, you could just sand and repaint only the leading edges now, prepaint your VG's and stick them on, after the new leading edge paint has cured for a month or so. You'll have 10 years of VG use and extra ldg edge protection.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

Also, I believe that once you have purchased the first set of VG's and STC any replacement VG's you need are very cheap, like 3.00 bucks per. A friend of mine lost a bunch flying through some hail last summer and the replacements were no big deal. Most of the original cost is probably the STC.

Mike