Back seat belts on M-4's

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Back seat belts on M-4's

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

I know this has been hashed out before but for the life of me, I can't find it. Must be on the old forum.
Has anyone developed, gotten approved or just made a split back seat belt for the 4 or 5?
The other item would be an extended baggage compartment.
I would be really interested to see some pictures.
Thanks in advance.
Kurt

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

my m5 has seperate rear seatbelts. the middle 2 are just 7x19 cables wrapped around a fuselage tube in the floor and nicopressed. the floor board just has 2 holes drilled in it for them to pass. then the seat belts bolt to the cables.
i bet if you ordered rear belts for a m5 or newer, you could easily install them.
there is some provision for upgrading safety belts that doesn't require a feild approval. maybe you could get an installation drawing from maule and reference that.
M5-235

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Thanks Ryan, any chance of a picture or two?
mackclan@mtaonline.net

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

Just make sure the seat belts are TSO'd!!! they had problems in Fairbanks with this. :shock:

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

To my understanding, this is one topic (item) that the FAA seems to be trying to be "Kinder & Gentler" on as it is a safety item. The other item is the caveat "as found" as noted by an IA....

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

that is true. but, like wup said, the belts themselves still have to be a tso'd part.

look in the AC43-13 for approved ways to make seat belt attatch points. i remember there being some drawings in there. i'll try to find them later.

i haven't had time to get you a pic yet, but i'll be in your neck of the woods in about 2 weeks. then you can just have a look. we will have to get together while there is still snow/ice to land on.
M5-235

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

You can also split the rear seat so that one half can be removed for 3 souls and freight. Also Atlee Dodge of AK developed and sells a fold up single rear seat kit for C180/185, that can be adapted to the Maule. Both Mel Wick and Holiday Aviation of AK have done that retrofit. Mel Wick and many others have designed and fitted 337 onetime extended baggage compartments. Work with a shop that has a good respectful relationship with their GADO .
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide