Jacking Maule spring gear

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Wirsig

Jacking Maule spring gear

Post by Wirsig »

Jeremy wanted this to be copied from flymaule.org:

Herb McCormick
Q: "What is the easiest and/or safest way to Jack a spring gear Maule in order to change a tire. I have used a scissor jack in the past but just wondering if there is a better way." Herb McCormick M7-260C

Jeremy
A: "Take off top cowl and lift engine mount frame with an engine hoist if you have a good one, or overhead beam with a comealong.
Remove forward strut upper fairing, take a 2x6 with piece off carpet on top, tie to strut under spar. Angle 2x6 away from fuselage and with a 2x4 cross handle attached, walk the 2x6 across the ground towards the plane. Crosstie tailwheel and fully chock other wheel first.
Weld two not quite parallel 5inchx1.5inch angle aluminium, set to fit the gear taper to another piece of angle about midpoint and at 90deg. Allow enough space for padding to protect gear paint and to fit it under the gear between the brakeline clamps. Jack on the crosspiece.
Now if someone would put this onto maulepilots.org so I don't have to figure how or retype."
Jeremy

Hope I did this right!
Wirsig

AK Mauler

Post by AK Mauler »

I used the engine hoist method to install the gear strap upgrades, I rented a hoist from the local rental yard. This is certainly the best way to go.
Jon Conger
MX7-180AC
N4261E

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Thankyou Wirsig
Jeremy

To describe the tool, weld the three pieces of 1.5" angle aluminium to resemble an H with the side legs off paralel to fit the gear and then jack up on the crossbar. It fits both sides. Aluminium is lighter to carry than steel.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

to expand this topic a little more......

i currently have my M5 "hanging" in the hanger with the gear legs off (for welding modifications to fit new schneider skis. ps-jeremy- i FOUND bob schneider) and i have it hung from the engine mount. i lifted it using a 7 ton automotive style chainhoist from the ceiling. and this is working just fine.
BUT, i think it would be much easier if i had seaplane hooks in the top of the wings. has anyone installed these in a plane that did not previously have them? does maule sell a kit of some sort? just curious if they need extra reinforcement of somesort, or if the provisions are already in there ???
just thought this would make ski changes easier, and float changes in the future.
thanks
M5-235

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Maule sells the lift rings and fairings which will make it easier to lift. No mod needed, just bolt on, replacing the wing root attach bolts with longer ones which probably come with the kit.
Did you find a Bob S because the fellow who designed and built the skis and wheel expanders was Rick Schneider.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Mr. Ed

Post by Mr. Ed »

I couldn't get a floor jack close enough to the bottom of the gear leg on my MX7. I drew up a jack and had my kid weld it up. It is run by a 2000 lb. bottle jack which is offset and drives the jack up and down a set of pillars welded to the base. Attached to this is a pivoting (so you can reverse the jack for use on both sides of the plane) heavy (3/4" thick) angle that the kid also welded. This angle slides under the bottom of the gear leg. I use a piece of inner tube to cushion the gear leg to protect the paint. Works swell if you are just changing or working on tires/wheels. Hoist is the only way if you are working on gear attach bolts etc. Will send pictures if you are interested in welding something up. Total cost of materials was about $30.