ALTERNATOR WARNING LIGHT

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

flyer
100+ Posts

ALTERNATOR WARNING LIGHT

Post by flyer »

The aircraft is M-5 180c. Serial No. above 8070.

The light started flashing intermittantly last flight. The red light stays on all the time, even at max rpm.

The alternator and voltage regulator appear to work normally. AT idle I can put on all loads including the lights. The ammeter will bounce down and then back to zero. The voltage remains constant between 13.6 and 13.7. If I turn off the alternator switch, the voltage goes to battery voltage as it should.

Resetting the alternator does not put out the light since the alternator seems to be working correctly.

Has anyone had this problem?

flyer
Flyer

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

You may have a loose connection at either end of or with the fuse itself to be found on a wire from the alternater and tiewrapped to the #1 intake tube.
It could be a bad ground from engine block to airframe at right rear of the engine.
It may be the light's relay mounted a couple inches above the light.
These are the usual culprits.
Jeremy
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

flyer
100+ Posts

ALTERNATOR WARNING LIGHT

Post by flyer »

JEREMY

You were exactly correct. It was a broken wire just past the fuse off of the alternator. That is the circuit that controls the Alternator Off Red light.

Thanks again for answering all of my questions whilst sitting on the grass at Johnson Creek during the Big Creek Maule fly in.

If you come down thru northern Idaho, stop at ID94.

flyer
Flyer

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

I try. You're welcome.
Jeremy
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide