Replacing Battery Tray & Battery

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Aerobatix

Replacing Battery Tray & Battery

Post by Aerobatix »

Hi All,

I noticed that my battery is VERY corroded as well as the battery tray. Upon closer examination the battery hold down straps were actually coroded all the way through and broken. So, I need to replace the tray.

It is likely that there may be an overcharging situation here and I will need to check that. One of my buddys suggested replacing the battery with a Concorde RG sealed/vented battery. Is there an STC or any other paperwork required for this change?

Is this an option? And would it require a different battery tray. Looking for suggestions so I can order partts and get back into the air. My Maule is a 93 MX-7-160.

Thanks!

Rob

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

I would replace the tray with one from Maule. Some of the early MX7 160 and 180A firewall mounts have the heater valve very close which when closed, dump the hot air too close to the battery. Later valves have a scat hose attached which takes the hot air down below the battery area. The RG batteries are certified and in most aircraft these days, however their life is extremely short unless the aircraft is flown very regularly, or the battery is deep cycle charged every 4 to 6 weeks. Pitiful in this day but that's the way it is as told by Gill and Concord and my experience. Check out the lousy warranty they offer.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Aerobatix

Ordered a trayand Battery

Post by Aerobatix »

I called Maule and spoke with Brian in parts. I asked about the tray and battery and he said it was a certified replacement and no papaerwork required.

I did order the battery tray from Maule for $57, but they wanted $266 for a Concorde RG-35AXC battery. I opted to order the battery from Aircraft Spruce for $179.

Should be a quick simple swap. Now I need to check the voltage going back into the battery. I looked under the panel inside the cockpit and it appears that the voltage regulator is there and has an adjustment screw. What is the optimal voltage to adjust this for?

Thanks!

Rob

TomD
100+ Posts

Battery woes

Post by TomD »

I agree w/ Jeremy the Recombinant or AGM batteries are wonderful, but if you let them get totally discharged they will no longer hold a complete charge.

A couple of years ago my plane sat at a service facility for about three months waiting for some work to be done. They ignored my request to keep the battery charged and when I got the plane back the battery never recovered.

Check this site: http://www.battery-chargers.com/catalog/9.pdf

These guys will set the maintenance charge to whatever you request ( get the maint. (trickle) chage specs from Concorde).

If you have to leave the plane for more than 30 days, hook it up and it will keep your battery fully charged without over charging.

I have been using this for two winters now and it works like a dream.

TD

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

If it is not set correctly, then adjust to 13.9volts. If you have overvoltage the red overvoltage light will illuminate as long as you saw it on before startup. Watch the ampmeter for higher charge after cranking to start and then it should drop back to the centre or very close unless you have a very high load or short or the alternater is not up to snuff.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Maule 9V

Post by Maule 9V »

I have the Concord AGM battery. Between flights I hook up a solar charger that outputs 150 milliamps. This will not overcharge due to the low current. The charger cost me $30 at Pep Boys. It will hold a battery at peak even with overcast conditions. To recharge a low battery requires a larger solar system, (about 400 mA) also available. For recharging at home I use the Battery Tender. Aviation Consumer had a couple of good articles on AGMs and chargers in the past few years.

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

If you purchase a new sealed battery check the date on the box and the battery. If the battery has not been charged within 90 days the warrranty is void.
WARNING: Desser Tire has made up a stamp to change the manufactures date. I received 3 batteries all out of warranty. The third battery was restamped, This is under investigation by the FAA and other's.

Gill will have a new battery out shortly, if you can wait for it. From what I have been told it is far superior to the currant sealed battery.

Aerobatix

Post by Aerobatix »

When you say Gil will have a new battery out "soon," what does that mean? Is it a few weeks or a few months?

I could wait a couple of weeks but I don't want to be grounded longer than that!

Thanks!

Rob

Aerobatix

Solar Charger?

Post by Aerobatix »

How are you connecting the solar charger? The cigar lighter seems to be connected to the avionix master in my plane. I'm curious as to how it is connected.

Thanks!

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

I was told it was do out anytime?
Call Gill you can get the # online or email. Sometimes companies say one thing a do the next? Gill is in Redlands, Ca. Was a 909 area code.
King said they would be out with there new modular gps system no later than December 06, now they will not even respond to my emails.

Maule 9V

Post by Maule 9V »

In my M-5 the battery is under the seat. I hook right to the battery posts. The collector rests on the V pipes in the front wind screen.

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

UPDATE ON NEW GILL BATTERY
The new LT 7000 series battery will not be out for a few more months.
Gill is first going to have LT battery's for the big boy's Feb 1,2007.
LT stands for "Lead Tin" a sealed battery. I'm told this is A SUPER long lasting battery.
If you have a G-35S it will now be 7035, no G.
Gill will be anouncing this in a few weeks.
I,m also told this thing has a shelf life MANY FOLD over the currant batt.

Mauler

Post by Mauler »

I've been using Deltec/Delphi batteries on all my aircraft and cars for several years. They are lead/calcium and are super-reliable, have great cranking power and long life. I've left an aircraft with battery connected and no charging for a year, turned the key and it fired up!

They are not approved for aircraft use, but I got so tired of having to repair acid cancer to airframes and fabric from Gills that I decided to switch to the Deltecs. I have used them for solar energy projects for years - they're great and cheap!
M5-210TC

Aerobatix

Post by Aerobatix »

I Have a MX-7-160 with the battery mounted to the firewall. Are there options for an external power plug that I can install. This would make it easy to plug in a battery tender to provide a trickle charge when I'm not flying.

As it is right now, I'd have to remove the top cowl to gain access to the battery. Also, I can't charge through the cigar lighter since it is connected to a breaker and requires the master to be on.

What are my options?

Thanks!

TomD
100+ Posts

Battery on firewall

Post by TomD »

I just read my latest copy of EAA Sport Aviation mag and there is an article in there for fabricating and routing an external hook up for solar and trickle charging.

TD