Turbo Maule's

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

HAAAA Mauler, over.
I have that info with complete kit # from Lycoming for carb to injection.
I don't know how to post the email that was sent to me, so please send me your email and anyone else and I will forward. david@landshort.com

How's progress on your sweet heart (210TC)??

A friend of mine just raced 3 235HP Maule's with his 210TC and he refused to post the results, he is more humble than I,but I have to tell as I heard it.
The 4 of us were side by side and after all 3 235's fire-walled they asked me about my power setting and I said "are you ready"?? I was at 160kts.
Now these are my words and they are most likely a bit different then EXACTLY what was said, but you get the point.
Maule screwed up when they stopped building the 210TC.

Mauler

Post by Mauler »

210TC wrote:How's progress on your sweet heart (210TC)??
Just busy re-covering it after having prepped the frame nicely. Wings/control surfaces being rebuilt. Have just received a new propeller - both the blades and the hub of the old one are toast. Nice thing about the expenditure is that the new hub is AD-free. The old one had to be crack-tested every 100hrs.
M5-210TC

210TC
100+ Posts

Fuel line size

Post by 210TC »

Would you guy's check the size of your fuel line from the mechanical pump to the carb.
From the fuel valve to the boost pump and then to the mechanical pump is 3/8's, then it drops to 5/16's (-4).
This just seems small to me, but could be for a reason??? Maybe the 30 psi??

benflyn
100+ Posts

Post by benflyn »

My TC has the same sizes that you listed, for petro plumbing.

210TC
100+ Posts

check fuel line

Post by 210TC »

The small -2 line that goes from the carb to the fuel pressure gauge needs to be inspected. I removed mine because I am removing the wet fuel pressure gauge system from my cockpit and installing a new dry system.
I found the mixture control cable had rubbed against the small copper line very close to the carb, I think I would have had a fuel fire in a matter of hours. I had plenty of clearence, some time in the past someone had let them rub. I NEVER NOTICE THIS UNTIL I REMOVED THE LINE.

I'm also installing a digital fuel flow system. Everybody wants to know what the fuel burn is at different power setting. SOON I Will know for sure!!!!!

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

A64,
I had my panel rewired and now the faa is involved. The guy that did the work is (I can't say). I am now going to remove his mess and install all new harness. This could keep me away from the fly-in.
The reason maule stopped the turbo is: 1. It's a very expensive engine (investment cast cylinder's among other things)
2. It was not a great success. At the time turbo's were very suspect do to a lack of knowledge.
3. These things have a lag factor (before the turbo spools up) which requires a very attentive right hand. This could be overcome (somewhat) by installing injection.
4. Bush pilot's invented the word K.I.S.S.
I think you have already read that I was on a flight in icing conditions and in an attempt to go on top of the ice I requested climbs in 2000 ft increments. At 22000 I was cleared to 24000, at 23000 The ice was scaring me and I request the nearest airport. At 11000 we hit warm rain and lost the ice. She was still climbing above 700 fpm.
I also think that bush pilots stay in a more confined area, not needing to travel long distances and they stay closer to the ground. While in Alaska, I found most pilots down in the valleys rather than over the top, I went over the top because of my climb performance and the beauty.
Can you imagine flying South America without A turbo???
I also think this airplane is going to go up in value much faster now that people have a better understanding of turbo's.
I do not think Maule will ever build another turbo, nor do I think any other Bush type aircraft manufacturers will.
The most versatile Maule ever built M-5210TC.

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Benflyn, Mauler,
Can you two give us an update???

Mauler

Post by Mauler »

Herre's where it stands at the moment. The airframe/tail feathers are being covered with Poly Fiber. The A&P who will be signing the aircraft out insists that the control surfaces must be rib laced and the stringers taped, although the factory does not do this. So, I'm doing everything the factory does as well as what the A&P wants!

Here are a couple of pix of the cable that failed, causing the accident. This is the cable that runs from the carb to the turbo bypass valve. It appears that it is the incorrect cable - the ends should have threaded sleeves rather than the groove - and this cable was hooked up with question-mark shaped bits of metal that did not do the job. Can anyone confirm what the cable should look like?

M5-210TC

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

It does not look like mine, I will try to get some pics.
The rest looks like you are doing a nice job.

flyer
100+ Posts

Post by flyer »

Mauler

The fabric should be secured to each stringer on the control surfaces. You can use the overlap method like the factory or you can use rib stitching. Your plane probably had the overlap method when it came out of the factory. The Polyfiber STC does not address this method. If you rib stitch, you must tape over them. Polyfiber is a good method except for the fumes. We used Polyfiber on ours also. I am 80% sure of this information.

flyer
Flyer

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

pooey
Last edited by 210TC on Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

pooey again
Last edited by 210TC on Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

I GOT IT....Click on image and it will grow!!!
pic1..throttle is to the right, manual waste gate is to the left.
pic2..blue cable waste gate.
pic3..top of engine looking down at waste gate control butterfly, opposite end of bue cable.
pic4..attachment for cable from pic3, turbo is left and above, attached to lower turbo brace/engine mount.

Mauler, did you remove the heat shield from your gascolator?
How do you get those big pics on?
Last edited by 210TC on Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mauler

Post by Mauler »

Thanks for the the pix, Dave! As I surmised, the cable sheath should have THREADED ends! The cable sheath on my aircraft popped thru on the carb end shortly after takeoff, causing the waste gate butterfly to open fully, the turbo to spool down and the mixture to go seriously over-rich as well as constricting air intake.

I feel much better at least knowing why I went down that day!

Below is a pic of the turbo end of the cable - showing signs that it would also soon be letting go.

Nope, the heat shield in front of the gascolator is still there. You won't see it in the pictures, because the engine is out of the plane.

I posted the big pix by uploading them to my web server and linking them with the "Img" button.

Flyer, I haven't been able to find any info about the "overlap method" as an alternative to rib lacing even after a bit of googling. Do you know of any website or other info that explains this method?
M5-210TC

Mauler

Post by Mauler »

Thanks for the the pix, Dave! As I surmised, the cable sheath should have THREADED ends! The cable sheath on my aircraft popped thru on the carb end shortly after takeoff, causing the waste gate butterfly to open fully, the turbo to spool down and the mixture to go seriously over-rich as well as constricting the air intake.

I feel much better at least knowing why I went down that day!

Below is a pic of the turbo end of the cable - showing signs that it would also soon be letting go.

Nope, the heat shield in front of the gascolator is still there. You won't see it in the pictures, because the engine is out of the plane.

I posted the big pix by uploading them to my web server and linking them with the "Img" button.

Flyer, I haven't been able to find any info about the "overlap method" as an alternative to rib lacing even after a bit of googling. Do you know of any website or other info that explains this method?
M5-210TC