Dukes Fuel Pump

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The Dukes pump is a boost pump for short time period operation.
The Facet pumps are placed in parralel and one runs full time as in a car, and the other is a backup.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Ian

Dukes Rebuild

Post by Ian »

Ifit is any consolation I had mine overhauled by an outfit in Louisiana (I think) 600.00 - this was two years ago. Works well so far.
Best Regards

Ian

Speedy

Post by Speedy »

210TC wrote:Just had two guy's out from the faa. They saw the new Dukes fuel pump I just installed on my Maule. He said very quickly "MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A SCREEN/FILTER BETWEEN THE DUKES AND THE CARB". Even recomended another pump with field approval.
Tells you something about Dukes!!
Hi David,

can you tell us what their recommendation was?

Speedy

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Not 100% positive, but I think it was a Bendix now called something else.
Help me with this one a64 my mind went blank.
I do know these are very good pumps.
It is the same type of pump that transfers fuel from the aux to the mains and pipers use them.
If my brain keeps doing this I may have to find another pass time???

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The pump Maule uses to transfer aux to main is the Facet pump also used on automotive applications.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

Jeremy, I've been guilty of leaving the Dukes pump on after start up several times. I've put a post it on the panel to remind me. After so many years of flying the Tripacer I forget to turn off the pump after start. I usually notice it somewhere into the flight after taxi and take off. I know this isn't the best thing for it but how much damage is it doing. I had it rebuilt last year by Dukes for about $600.00. I get about 4 Lbs pressure when I turn it on which is enough to start my M4 IO 360.
Iceman

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Thanks Jeremy,
Bendix which is now Facet. The finest pump ever built (my opinion).
Find the Facet pump with the same spec's as the pump you now have and obtain a field approval to install.
I suspect other countries have a proceedure close to ours??
If anyone has made this change please post the info.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Iceman, probably no damage done if not on for extended periods. Many of the Dukes pumps are designed to run and some are used to just prime and/or for takeoff or landing. Airframe manufacturers select a pump for the apropriate application when going through design and certification and operation is described in the various P.O.H.'s. Each of the many models show the pressure and flow rate on the data card affixed to the pump.
and there are many different ones.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Not to resurrect an old thread or anything... You guys were talking about a black substance in the fuel system. I found an SB for Beach aircraft with Dukes pumps. evidently, the carbon brushes on the pump arms can gernade. I wonder why there are no SB's or AD's for other so equiped aircraft?

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

If you need an overhaul of the Dukes fuel boost pump read this:

http://maulepilots.org/forums/viewtopic ... ight=dukes
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

akholland
100+ Posts

To Ressurect an old post....

Post by akholland »

I have leaky dukes 4130 pumps on both the M4-210 and the M5-235 and like everyone else, that stupid o ring doesn't match anything from a standard o ring kit.

My pumps do however appear to have the updated Vanes.

Don't both these pumps have adjustable pressure regulators on the bottom?
Isnt that what the big flat tip screw plug with the "Do not Adjust" sticker over it is for?

My grandpa has a experimental carbureted 0-360 lycoming and the engine conversion specified a facet boost pump. Since there is a float in the carb, Im failing to see how it would be a problem to use any replacement pump with the same pressure and flow ratings for carbureted models such as the 0-540. Someone correct me?

The fuel injected io-360 on the other hand uses a 4140-00-14 or 07? I believe... and it has a higher pressure/flow rating. Since the throttle body provides fuel flow which is pressure dependent.. It would make sense that the pressure regulator would be necessary to have for this application. It seems like all the regulated pumps are between 650 and 1000 bucks so it makes sense to have the dukes overhauled.

Others have pulled the o ring out of a non leaky pump and put it in as well. It also leaked.. I guess it's kinda like a constant speed prop.... sometimes a guy just has to suck it up and send it in.... :(

About the inline fuel filter downstream of the boost pump.. Does anyone have any recommendations? I would prefer a clear one but I'm afraid of plastic. Metal would be ok if replaced yearly.... What about another gascolator? Why is the gascolator upstream of the pump anyways?

Now that I think about it... this dukes pump disintegration is why a guy I used to know had a engine failure in his m4-210. There was a black piece of junk in the throttle body valve orifice. Come to think of it... i recall a vane being broken when i tore the pump apart for the seal to put on my other m4... and they were black blades.. hmm

Being a test pilot sucks..I think i'll just buy a new one.

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

JEGS "Hotrod car" site shows a Mr. Gasket "clear view" fule filer. I have one on a rock crawler Jeep it's a high quality glass and o-ring cleanable unit. For an experimental it would be great,Cert" fed"afield I don't know if it would fly?

akholland
100+ Posts

Post by akholland »

I see this on Amazon and like that it's clear and cleanable. However, the plastic fittings I'm not to fond of. I have 3/8 aluminum tubing for fuel line. I would like to plumb directly into this filter with aircraft fittings. Do you know the thread and hole Size and if it's npt?

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

I have one of those on a boat motor, it is 1/8 npt female on both ends. It did come with plastic hose barb fittings but I replaced them with brass.
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

akholland
100+ Posts

Post by akholland »

1/8 is smaller than the existing lines... Probably need to stick to the same size or larger to avoid pressure drop. Maybe they make a larger version