Dukes Fuel Pump

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

g5280

Dukes Fuel Pump

Post by g5280 »

Does one have any experience rebuilding a Leakey Dukes Fuel pump? There is a rubber grommet type deal with a spring raped around it that the shaft goes through. I would like to find that part. Yes I know I can have it over haled for $250.00 but where is your since of adventure. Some body some where has got to know where to get that O ring / springy thing. Pardon me for being so technical. Any ides will be operated

Gary
Gary, Maule 9159E
1977 M5 235 IO 540J
Tundra Tires

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Years ago I came across a problem with a rebuilt Dukes pump when we could buy a kit and rebuild our own. Whatever replacement seal was used, it slowly desintegrated and black rubber like parts were found in the engine driven pump downstream. The pump did not operate properly, temp starving the engine and causing leaning enough to burn valves. It was an M5 210TC, so do please be careful.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Any chance of removal of this pump?
Never use mine. EVER

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

If the pump is removed the plane is not in TC compliance. It can be removed and substituted with two (in paralel) Facet electric pumps when the autogas STC is fitted on O360 C1F, O360 C4F, and O540 B4B5 Lycomings on Maules. It needs to be cycled at each engine run to acertain operation and no leaks and to keep the seals wet.
It is used to prime the IO540 engines and to quickly get fuel to the carb on O360 and O540 engines in the case of vapourization, inadvertantly emptied or slipped dry tank or blocked ventline or other calamity.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

g5280

Post by g5280 »

I want Thank Jeremy & Tom for there sound advises. I looked for a number on the seal because with a part number I was told that I might be able to find a new seal from a manufacture .NO number OK so I bought a Dukes fuel pump from eBay when I tested it, no leaks. Now the bad news is this pump puts out 26 LBS pressure and I need 4.6 LBS So I took apart the eBay pump and removed the seal with that spring raped around it and the shaft that goes threw it that drives the vanes that pumps the fuel. I figure that the shaft and the seal like each other because they didn’t leak in the eBay pump. I put all of this together in my pump I will test this whole operation tomorrow. We will see what happens. OH YA! Jeremy you took the wind rite out of my sales when you said that there use to be a rebuild kit for these Dukes I thought I was on to southing new and exciting. Oh well
Moor Later
Gary
P.S. I am still looking for a place where I can get that seal or even the correct name would be helpful
Gary, Maule 9159E
1977 M5 235 IO 540J
Tundra Tires

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

These pumps not only have different pressure output but also the flow rate is important for each engine model.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

g5280

Post by g5280 »

Well my test was a failure. It actually leaked moor than before my surgery DAM!!!
I will pull it apart again and see where I screwed up also I am going to see if I can figure out what the difference is between these 2 pumps. Jeremy I was careful not to switch anything but seal, O ring & shaft so that would not change any flow issue.

Thanks Gary
Gary, Maule 9159E
1977 M5 235 IO 540J
Tundra Tires

g5280

Post by g5280 »

Well I caved in. Dukes is only about 30 minutes away so I called them and asked If & how much & how long. They stead Yes, $440.00, 3 Days just bring in to will Call and drop it off. So I did and they called me the next day and sead pick it up. I like the way they do business. The new pumps are not polarity sensitive you can’t hook the wires up rung I had a good experience with the Dukes people. That’s worth southing now days. http://www.dukesinc.com/home2.html
Ps I am still looking for that seal that’s rite Dukes would not let me buy that seal.
Gary
Gary, Maule 9159E
1977 M5 235 IO 540J
Tundra Tires

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Yesterday a friend replaced the seal in my pump that you are talking about. The seal is high about $70 bucks or so, but it can be had. If anyone needs this seal PM me and I will provide contact info for you.

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Just had two guy's out from the faa. They saw the new Dukes fuel pump I just installed on my Maule. He said very quickly "MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A SCREEN/FILTER BETWEEN THE DUKES AND THE CARB". Even recomended another pump with field approval.
Tells you something about Dukes!!

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

bringing back an old post here, but....

i just had my finger strainer out of my carb fuel inlet (O-540) and found lots of little black things in there.
where to look next? i was going to look at the rubber fuel line from the selector to the firewall, but after finding this old post i think maybe the dukes pump is the next place to look.

can i open it up to inspect it? are the gaskets available now? or do i have to send this think off to the lower 48?

thanks for any advise you could give...
M5-235

donknee
100+ Posts

Post by donknee »

I have been seeing some "little black things" in the discharge from the gascolator. I drained the carb bowl and did a good flushing, as well as the finger strainer. The stuff I've found is magnetic so its ferrous. I've asked several people and gotten several opinions. The size is not very large. I was wondering if it might be created from just screwing the fuel caps on and off. I put on brand new caps...maybe they "wear in"? I'm due for another flush of the carb and screen to see if I've arrested the problem or there is repeated accumulation. :roll:
1976 M5-235-C

flyer
100+ Posts

Post by flyer »

I have a Dukes fuel pump off of my M5 that I will sell if anyone is interested. It worked when I took it off.

flyer
Flyer

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Don, your thinking is probably correct, as the old caps would produce rust scale sometimes.
Other black debris besides coming from the Dukes can come from the linings of certain fuel lines breaking down, which helps explain calender time limits on hoses.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

atlryan

Post by atlryan »

Jeremy mentioned that the auto fuel STC replaces the Dukes pump with two Facet pumps. Out of curiosity, what do the Facet pumps do that the Dukes didn't? Why two? Do they need to be run during certain phases of flight when running on auto fuel?

Ryan
1999 MXT-7-180A