EDM 900 placement

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Duane wrote:Tellico, I noticed bare tiewraps around the engine mount. That's a big no no. They will cut into the tubing. we use cork tape under any tiewraps.
Really? Am I reading this right? My plane had/has a ton of plastic tie wraps on the engine mount. So far I haven't added with my EDM install but rather removed a few.

Duane, any chance maule has some in house photos of how you guys install the JPI stuff. Since I have the franklin I will have to get a little creative but it should be more or less the same as any other maule.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Second Duane on the engine mount. We use to use a couple of rounds of electrical tape in the shop but that stuff gets nasty after a while. It didn't matter much since we were pulling engines every year or two. I now use a couple wraps of the clear 3M stuff like is used on the gap seals but I check it once in a while as the jury is still out on durability. . Might go looking for the cork. Think it would be nice and thick.

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Mog, I have a PDF file of 7303E sht 3. That shows where we mount the JPI 930 stuff on the firewall and the fuel transducer mount. I'm not any good with photobucket, but will try from home. If anyone else is more savy on how to upload it, email me at dknauff@1791.com and I'll be glad to share it.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

And here it is. Had to save as an image to make it easy to quickly host.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

So lets get real obscure here. I might need to go to the Stinson boards for this one. To remove my Tach gauge I will need to block off the Tach drive on the back of the Franklin. It appears it may be a standard fitting. I have found a plug for a lycoming from Aircraft spruce that I believe is a 7/8" cap. Does any body happen to know if the Lyc part will cap the Franklin.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

So I ended up using a 7/8" tach drive cap from aircraft spruce. It was a perfect fit. Annual is almost done, will hopefully be flying again in a couple weeks.

ajak
100+ Posts

Post by ajak »

Just curious if anyone installing an EDM900 or EDM930, and who has a fuel injected engine, has installed a fuel pressure sensor with it.

JPI sent mine configured for monitoring fuel pressure, even though I didn't have a fuel pressure gauge before on my IO-540 and I don't see any fuel pressure specs in the AFM. Maybe they included it because they saw fuel pressure listed on the O-540.

I'm kind of a "data guy" so the idea of being able to monitor my fuel pump is appealing, but at the same time I don't like the idea of putting extra fittings on the high pressure side of my fuel system. I'll be sending my EDM900 back soon for the free software update they have going now, and trying to decide if I should ask them to remove the fuel pressure display from it, or leave it in.
AJ
1983 M-6-235
IO-540W1A5D, 81" Hartzell, 4" ext gear, 31" tires, Atlee exhaust, long wings, VGs, LED ldg/nav/strobes, EDM-900, CiES

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Can you not do the software update in the plane? I personally would not hesitate to plumb in the fuel pressure as it could be really handy to have if there is a problem.

ajak
100+ Posts

Post by ajak »

Unfortunately it doesn't appear they let us do our own updates on the 900/930. I'm guessing it's a liability thing because they're Primary instruments rather than advisory like the 7xx/8xx displays...
AJ
1983 M-6-235
IO-540W1A5D, 81" Hartzell, 4" ext gear, 31" tires, Atlee exhaust, long wings, VGs, LED ldg/nav/strobes, EDM-900, CiES

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Makes since I guess. Hope mine is up to date since I just bought it.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Mine had that too. Deon't know why. Just edited it out during setup. It's been a while so I don't remember much about it at my age. If you can't find it in their setup docs you can call and wait for tech support. they're pretty good when you finally get to them.

They're not perfect. They put a redline on my MP because the POH showed MP limits. Every time the barometric pressure was high I got an engine warning on takeoff. A call to them and they emailed me a file to upload and it was gone.

Also, just a note. If you think you might want the fuel tank option buy it up front. They want a lot more to add it later.

ajak
100+ Posts

Post by ajak »

Thanks, that's good to know, especially with changing the MP limits. I kind of figured there might be little tweaks needed here and there and it's actually a big relief to know that it can be done without having to pull the unit and sending it in.
AJ
1983 M-6-235

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Here's a question for you other EDM 900 owners.

When I purchased our EDM 900 we opted out of the fuel tank level option. This week I sent our unit back to JPI to repair a problem we caused on install. (note to new installers, be careful and don't mistakenly pull on the lead where the engine warning LED plugs into. It will come loose inside the unit). When I sent the unit back I asked them to add fuel indicating.

So here's my question. How many of you have the fuel tank option, how hard was it to calibrate and, is it consistently accurate?

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

So I have the fuel tank level option as I got rid of my old gauges. Install is easy. I have not calibrated the system yet but have gone through the directions and mocked the calibration with fake numbers. It's extremely easy to fill in the tables. Biggest issue is draining tank, leveling plane and then filling tank up several gallons at a time to get numbers needed to properly fill in the tables. A trained monkey could do it.

cooker
100+ Posts

Post by cooker »

not sure if it talks about this in the manual but i leveled the plane first then drained the fuel by disconnecting line at gascolator until flow was not constant thus leaving unusable fuel in the tanks for my 0 point.